question about mileageplus explorer free bag...

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by crackers8199, Jul 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. crackers8199

crackers8199 New Member

Status Points:
    i just applied and was approved for the mileageplus explorer on friday. i'm planning a trip with several friends in late august, and would like to maximize the free bags...but i see in order for the companion free bag, they have to be on the same reservation.

the problem with this is that a bunch of us are flying different dates. two of my friends and i are flying to our destination on fri aug 24 - but the two friends will be flying home sun sept 2 while i won't be home til wed sept 5. also, my girlfriend will likely be meeting us on wed aug 29, and flying home with me on wed sept 5.

if i'm interpreting this right, i'd have to book my own flight (and the rest of them for that matter) as one-way tickets in order to qualify for the free baggage for one companion, since that's the only way to get them on the same reservation...right? or am i reading way too much into this?

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    From What I understand you'll have to:
    1. Book 1 way tix for you & 2 friends on 8/24 (only 1 friend gets the free bag)
    2. Book 1 way tix for you & gf on 9/5
    3. GF flight on 8/29 & Friends flights on 9/2 will not have the free bag or the priority access perk.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but on many routes RT fares are the same as two one ways. Where it can matter is the fees if the trip is cancelled.

4. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if this is logical or not but why not ask your friends and g/f to all apply and get the MP Explorer CC?

5. crackers8199

crackers8199 New Member

Status Points:
    i did check - the two one-way tickets for me are the same as a round-trip for me. i didn't get to check it for anyone else...wanted to clarify what i needed to do first.

having them apply for the card isn't going to happen...none of them would do so. i tend to travel more than them so it's worth it for me, plus i wanted the bonus miles.

so, am i correct in my interpretation that if i book a single round-trip for me, and then book the other tickets after that, then i'd be the only one to get the free checked bag?

is it possible to add additional flights/people to the same reservation if i book my own round-trip first?

Scottrick likes this.
  6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There are many people who don't travel much but still get credit cards for sign up bonuses and benefits even if they are for the short term. Seems like avoiding checked bag fees, boarding in priority and getting 25k bonus miles is a pretty good incentive to get a credit card with no annual fee in the first year.

Scottrick likes this.
  7. crackers8199

crackers8199 New Member

Status Points:
    i don't disagree, but just trust me it's not gonna happen...lol

8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    what about adding them as auth users?

9. crackers8199

crackers8199 New Member

Status Points:
    i might be able to do that...but i don't think they would get the free bag. doesn't it apply only to the primary cardholder?

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't do this unless you know them very well and are confident of their credit rating. If they're irresponsible, it could impact you badly.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    To get some free bags for your friends and girlfriend (I hope she's a friend too), you would need to book their one way tickets at the same time as yours, all as one transaction, presumably on your credit card. Then they book their other one ways independently, perhaps the friends jointly so that they're on the same PNR for IROPs.

12. crackers8199

crackers8199 New Member

Status Points:
    oh believe me, i'm well aware of the risk of adding them as AU. they're some of my closest friends, i know i can trust them...still, i don't believe it would help (as only the primary cardholder gets the free bag).

i think the key is for us to book as one-way tickets...that seems to be the only way to get the free bag applied to them (since if i book myself as a round-trip, we'd be on separate reservations i think)...

13. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try explaining this to my family. :rolleyes: At some point, no amount of logic will convince people.

14. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think adding an authorized user is going to help. I am not sure if this will work for you as someone who is geting elite-light benefits through a credit card, however, as a UA elite I have frequently found that I have no trouble extending my benefits to other people traveling on the same flight under a separate reservation. If I want to move someone up to Economy Plus, I just call reservations and give them both confirmation numbers. If I need to check bags for me and a friend, I just check-in at the counter with them.

15. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You would not believe the number of people I speak to who just do nothing to maximize miles/points either through hotel hopping, promo sign ups, credit cards etc. It's quite sad.... for them.... while I head off on another free vacation :cool: