Question about Luggage and Citi Platinum.

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Mapsmith, Jan 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, just imagining a scenario here.

I have a Citi Platinum Card which gives me Priority one and a free checked bag. I got my better half an award ticket using her miles. AA would not let me use the Platinum card since the AAdvantage account was in her name and the card is in mine and the account and card do not match.
    Anyway, she does not have a platinum card so she does not get Group One (she got 2) and will have to pay for the bag.

However, what happens if I pay for her bag with My Platinum Card. Would that not cause the bag to become free?

(I realize that this is purely speculation. She is traveling with me so supposedly she will board with me and the bag is supposed to be free. But because of using two different accounts, it comes up with two different PNRs)

I sort of figure during check in her bag will mysteriously become free. But what happens if I pay with my Platinum if they ask???

Newscience, daninstl and MX like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understood that the bag and boarding benefits cover only the primary account owner on any paid or award travel. Those benefits do not come from paying with the card, so you can't transfer them by paying for another person or lose them by not using your AA card.

Newscience likes this.
  3. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    the benefits apply to card holder plus 4 people on the same pnr.

Counsellor, Newscience and daninstl like this.
  4. PosauneGuy

PosauneGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Citi benefits are tied to the AA frequent flyer number, not the use of the card. Because you're on different PNRs, she will not get the free bag allowance. If she's flying on an AAnytime Award (not MileSAAver), though, she will get the free bag allowance. She will be able to board with you, as AA generally lets people traveling together to board together, regardless of whether or not they're on the same PNR.

Newscience, MX and daninstl like this.
  5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like your reasoning and never thought this out but I'm in the same boat. My wife and I both have decent AA account balances but she doesn't have the cards to match.
    I like the reasoning of paying with the card and it become free. Like a tree falls in the forest but if you pay the lumberjack to cut it up with your AA Platinum card it would magically disappear. Sorry but it does get confusing and comically at times. You could try showing them the card to try and get free bags for her but I'm not sure that's the best option. As far as boarding you should be able to board together in most situations. If not just do the "L" sign on your forehead to your wife as you walk past her and the other gatelice and stroll to your seat :) during priority boarding.

Newscience likes this.
  6. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    She was able to board with me, but I had to pay for her bag. (as if she would ever offer to pay herself :) ) Fortunately we both got the wonderful Pre Check on the BPs so that hassle was eliminated.

LauraPDX likes this.