Question about International Day of Departure Upgrade Priority

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by DLfan, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Does anyone know how those on the gate list for international day of departure upgrades are prioritized? I assume that once your name is on that list it is prioritized by status, then fare; but, any idea what comes next? Entirely possible, I would think, to have two Diamonds on B fares competing for the same seat.

2. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are no international complimentary upgrades you will need a SWU or miles to use on a Y,B, or M fare. Two Diamonds on a B fare would be broken if one was a reserve card member. International destinations Delta counts as Domestic Unlimited Upgrade destinations (mostly central America where they are using First class domestic seats if I recall).

3. I understand that an SWU or miles are required...I'm just wondering how those await the gate upgrades are prioritized. Is time of original waitlisting used or time that the day-of-departure upgrade request is activated?

4. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Time of purchase is also used as a tie-breaker.

5. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did I not read that on international there were no upgrades within 24 hours of the flight (op-ops excepted). Or is that now ancient knowledge?

6. Ancient knowledge. If an international upgrade does not clear prior to day-of-departure, you are moved to a stand-by list for gate upgrades, as available. This happens automatically; but, "activation" is still required by an agent after you show up at the airport and many (if not most) do not know to do this.

This is the crux of my question...after status and fare, what is the tie-breaker? Is it time of original waitlisting, time of activation on the stand-by list or other?

7. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! I am sure glad I didn't just jump in with that as fact!

These things are starting to change much too quickly for me. And sorry I don't know the answer to your question.

8. Apparently, none of us know the answer! [​IMG]

Pharaoh likes this.