Question about holding an aa.com reservation

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, Dec 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm confused, and I admit it may be poor memory on my part.

I just booked a reservation for late January: the trip is domestic, and revenue (not award).

I didn't object to the new booking engine as much as the "Hell" thread had told me I might. But then. . .

At the end, when given the choice to hold without paying today, I was only offered what they said was 24 hours (in truth a little longer, until midnight tomorrow night). For travel so far in the future, I was thinking I was going to be offered a week or two hold. Has something changed, and if so did it have anything to do with the new booking engine?

perryplatypus and jbcarioca like this.
  2. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know, revenue ticket holds have always been until midnight the next day. It's award holds that are longer.

3. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, and that makes some sense to me because much of my recent experience has been with award tickets so that is what I may be remembering.

I did find one MP item from 2011 before I posted this thread this morning that seemed to indicate there may have been a program last year to hold revenue reservations for a week for a fee, like $5, and that they may have been doing that as a test at various pricing points. http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/hold-aa-reservations-fare-for-7-days-for-5-fee.17958/

I was not offered a hold for more than a day this morning, however, not even for a fee. Thanks John.

perryplatypus, John777 and jbcarioca like this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    24 hours (ish) is standard now, and haven't seen the longer hold offered in awhile even for a fee.

perryplatypus and kansaskeith like this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I was offered the hold fee about 7 weeks ago. Haven't looked or booked since then.

perryplatypus and kansaskeith like this.
  6. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your memory might be failing you. The 'fee for an extended hold' program has long since been abandoned.

7. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also remember, sometimes is a fare sale end the night that you started a hold, the hold may only be until that night. Meaning, if on Tuesday you start your hold, you typically have a hold until Wednesday midnight. HOWEVER, if you have a sale fare that ENDS on Tuesday night, your hold will only go until Tuesday midnight. I experienced this recently. Now, I did call AA and they ended up holding it for me for the regulation hold period, but told me the system will not hold it for 24+hours is the fare sale ends.