Question about having a kid in rommete in costal starlight

Discussion in 'Amtrak | Guest Rewards' started by Aditya Vyas, Jun 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Aditya Vyas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am thinking of taking costal starlight ( my first amatrak trip) with my family ( its me , my wife and 4 year old). Question is i was looking at rommete which says it can only fit 2 people is 4 year ok? Trip is from san jose to eugene ( 16 hrs)

vickers likes this.
  2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    vickers likes this.
  3. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I took a viewliner roomette from Birmingham to New Orleans. There wouldnt be any room on the floor for your 4 year old. The top bunk will retract from the ceiling, but then i dont think you can sit in the seats. I dont know if Amtrak would even allow this. Agreed, you will need the bedroom.

4. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Aditya Vyas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you guys. Will see if bedroom is available.
    Regards

5. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    No way Amtrak will allow three people into a roomette. The seats become the support for the bottom bunk, and the only room on the floor is about 2 square feet for access to the door, the coat rack, and the "stairs" to the upper bunk.

Enjoy the ride though - it's probably one of the best in the system.

6. chakk

chakk New Member

Status Points:
    I have taken two small children with me in an Amtrak superliner roomette many times. I had the two children sleep "feet-to-feet" in the upper bunk while I slept in the lower. Since the mattress for the lower bunk is stored on top of the upper bunk when the beds are made up, it may be a bit difficult to sleep in the upper bunk when the lower is set up for seats. But, it can be done, and the upper bunk can be lowered into position with enough headroom to sit in the seats below.

7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    In terms of space, it really depends on how large you are (or, more realistically, your wife is) since your 4 year old will have to fit in the berth with one of you. The seats are fairly spacious so that, as long you know that one of you will be sharing the seat with your child you would probably be okay. I've done a number of trips with children on Amtrak and even with two, when we had two roomettes, we'd spend a certain amount of the waking day with three people in one of the roomettes, and I'm pretty sure my wife has slept with one or another of the girls when they were younger.

The bigger issue is that Amtrak will probably not allow you to book three people (even with a child) in the roomette. There is conflicting information about this on the internet. If not, you could possibly book the roomette for two of you and a regular ticket for the other person (booking a roomette involves paying a coach fare and an additional cost anyway) and then seeing if the sleeping car attendant will let you stay in the roomette.

Do be aware that each car has an attendant and that they are very proprietary about "their" car. You will not be able to sneak on the train or, essentially, do anything in the sleeper car that the attendant doesn't know about. Making friends with them (they're generally quite friendly if perhaps sometimes a little formal) would go some way towards your being able to pull it off.