Question about expiring eVIPs

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by The Mileage Millionaire, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. The Mileage Millionaire
    Original Member

The Mileage Millionaire Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have some eVIPs that expire on 2/28/2011. Can I use these eVIPs to upgrade flights scheduled for after 2/28/2011 if I call and request the upgrade before the expiration date?

Chimpy likes this.
  2. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes (and no.) I just used 4 of them for March flights. The catch is, your upgrade must clear before Feb. 28. If you are still waitlisted on March 1, the eVIPS just go away. At least that's what the ExPlat desk told me last week. Then she proceeded to waive the change fee and move my flights to routes that had instant upgrade inventory.

Mikel likes this.
  3. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Forgot I was also told by that CSR that if still waitlisted on 2/28 for March flights, one should apply the expiring eVIPS to the domestic leg of the trip. ExPlat would probably get upgraded, but this guarantees it, and the eVIPS would just disappear anyway. Say SFO-JFK-LHR. The SFO-JFK is half the trip so a guaranteed upgrade to First if a nice thing.

4. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

MilePointInformed Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to my sources at American the answer lies really what agent you get on the phone.
    Yes I know a very strange thought.Yes they must be booked by the end of this month.
    However the system itself once entered cannot recognize the expiration date once booked.
    So lets say your travel is in June.You are good to go provided you get a cooperative agent willing to assist.
    Cheers and welcome to MilePoint all!

5. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is great information!
    However it's worth noting that it contradicts what AA says on their site:

Q: How long are my systemwide upgrades valid?
    A:
    Upgrades that were earned based on your 2009 flight activity are valid through February 28, 2011. Upgrades earned based on your 2010 flight activity are valid through February 29, 2012. So, the earlier in the year that you qualify or requalify for Executive Platinum membership, the longer you will have to use your systemwide upgrades. All travel using a systemwide upgrade must be completed by the expiration date. Upgrades will expire at 12:00 midnight (CT) on the date shown.
    So YMMV, but you can always try calling back if you don't get an answer that you like.

6. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    As always YMMV. It makes sense to me that if the eVIPS are taken in Feb. for an upgrade that is available on a Mar flight everything is fine. If waitlisted and not cleared until March, there would be no expiring upgrades to use.

The CSR did mention since I had requalified for ExePlat and had a new batch of eVIPS they could extend these in this fashion. So, perhaps if your status expired Feb 28 along with your eVIPS you would be out of luck?

Except for the change fee waiver, I think this person was operating within the normal parameters. I'm still not upgraded on the LHR-LAX return flight, but have a brand new eVIP to cover that if necessary. It makes sense that if the upgrade doesn't clear before Feb 28 there will no longer be an instrument to support it. (unless you have fresh new ones.)

7. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    To clarify, did the rep said that she could extend the expiration date of your expiring VIPs because you had requalified? Or just that she could use the expiring ones before 2/28 for travel after 2/28 because you had requalified?

8. brp
    Original Member

brp Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is the latter. They are not extended. They are just applied to flights after the expiration date only if confirmed before the expiration date. So, it is not an extension.

As for the rules- this is in contradiction of the rules, and is definitely not guaranteed. "Yes" and "No" are both answers one should expect to this question. It also seems that the value one brings to AA can play a factor in which answer one receives.

Cheers.

JDiver, oklAAhoma and gemac like this.
  9. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    We were invol. rerouted wed. due to wx and BA canceling connecting flight. The EXP desk made it sound like they should extend our VIPs, but I am going to be cautious and am looking for c avail to BRU or LHR that will clear at time of ticketing. I promised myself that it would be a light travel year, but with an extra trip due to these VIPs, I'm sitting at 57k by end of March.

10. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    If they extend your eVIPs, they will put them back into your account with an expiration date of Feb. 29, 2012. Failing that, your plan is the best course of action.

HNL and oklAAhoma like this.
  11. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    That extension would be awesome, but I'm once again a lowly LT Plt, so I'm not sure they'll accommodate me.

12. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep us posted on how it comes out.

HNL and oklAAhoma like this.
  13. brp
    Original Member

brp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree to check carefully. We had a reroute due to a mechanical in late December. They were happy to put back the SWUs, but they indicated that extension was not going to happen. I'm skeptical of the extension here as well, as opposed to reinstatement with the 2011 expiration date. But I'd love to be wrong in your case since this is a later reinstatement.

Cheers.

oklAAhoma and gemac like this.
  14. Just to add an on-topic data point [​IMG], I met no resistance in applying 6 expiring VIPs to a trip in March.

brp likes this.
  15. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    They cleared at the time of booking? Or are waitlisted?

16. Cleared at booking.

gemac and oklAAhoma like this.
  17. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that's the key. My first time with expiring eVIPS, but I suspect from my conversation with 1(one!) CSR is that if I had not requaled as ExPlat they might not have been so accommodating. So, as usual, YMMV.

18. rchavez
    Original Member

rchavez Active Member

Status Points:
    This seems to be the pattern I've been observing, that the ability to use 2010 upgrades on 2011 travel post-2/28 is predicated on one having requalified for EXP for 2011. There have been anecdotal examples posted that contradict this, but they have been few and far between.

Albert likes this.
  19. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's kinda hard to say at this point, as it seems to be changing or have changed part way through. It was easier early on, and harder now. I don't think this is all in who is asking, their standards seem to be tightening up. It may take a while before we get any usable idea of how it works.

HNL likes this.
  20. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    This week I was told I could not apply an expiring eVIP to a March LHR-MIA trip even with the A bucket seat available, CSR said can not do it this year. Called back next day and got the upgrade from J to F without a question and pulled from the expiring eVIP. Seems very inconsistent.

21. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I think there must be a new memo out on it, but some seem not to have gotten the memo (or, more likely, haven't read it yet). In this case right now, the old mantra of "Hang up, call back" applies more than ever.

stuartfla likes this.
  22. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Even when there is no evidence to support policy change confusion, I always get ;) an urgent call that I have to apologize for abruptly needing to hang up whenever (really not that often) an agent seems unable, incapable or unwilling to consider my "reasonable" request. In this case I waited to the next day to try again.

oklAAhoma, KimK and TheIceTrojan like this.
  23. Zantaine
    Original Member

Zantaine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another data point: Applied a 2/11 SWU on an April 2011 flight no issues. (Cleared instantly and SWU was taken out yesterday or the day before) If an Agent tells you no, call back.

24. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have 2 SWU expiring at the end of this month. I haven't called yet to ask them to be applied for future travel because, well, I don't have a trip that I'd waste an SWU on at this point. At the same time, I do not want to see them go to waste, so I've been attempting to upgrade friends with trips this month.

My sense is that since I'm a low-yield EXP, I likely wouldn't receive the exception.

25. TheIceTrojan
    Original Member

TheIceTrojan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thats my exact MO!