Question about "elite status"

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by jvjones13, Sep 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jvjones13

jvjones13 Active Member

Status Points:
    Okay, so I've noticed several thread regarding Elite Status and it appears this is quite important. What is the deal? Why is this so important? Is it easier to get award flights with Elite Status? Why are people willing to pay money for Mileage Runs in order to keep it, etc?

Do you earn more miles when you have Elite Status? I nearly have 100k miles with AA? Am I about to hit Elite Status? How will I know? Does confetti start falling from the ceiling? :) Do you have to tell them you have it when booking an award flight?

Please school me!

Thanks so much,
    Jules

8MiHi, rwoman, Kalboz and 3 others like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    8MiHi, Kalboz, rwoman and 1 other person like this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Elite status is all about making travel more palatable. Additional bennies are always nice of course. Having many miles does not necessarily correlate to elite status as mentioned above.

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    it is all about the additional perks/benes that come with status.
    Perks such as bonus miles for flights flown on paid tickets, greater access to award space when booking award tix, complimentary upgrades &/or upgrade instruments, seat choice, better chance of being taken care of when things go wrong, eliminate fees, etc etc
    see prior answer
    with some airlines yes
    not only to earn the perks/benes but also to accumulate miles to be used later for premium awards or awards on expensive routes.

8MiHi, rwoman, macbookguy and 2 others like this.
  5. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:

Ooooo confettiii.

6. pyndasky

pyndasky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I consider elite status to be like "payback" or "reparations" for hours and hours or miles and miles of self-inflicted torture... The irony is that the payment is usually with more flight time.

But seriously, the benies are pretty nice..... my favorites are: waiving of fees, complimentary upgrades, and exit row seating. There are many others such as bonus miles, priority boarding, front cabin seating, lounge access, etc... But for me, I'm cool with the exit row seating.

7. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Early boarding --- yea. Seats closer to the front --- nice. Economy plus or whatever it is called FREE ... took Delta over American just for better seating on a four hour plus flight. UPGRADES -- hog heaven. Free baggage - tempts you to take too much but still nice. and so much more.

Gargoyle, 8MiHi, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jules,

Some of your questions seem to have been answered and some perhaps not.

With American Airlines you will have elite status after 25,000 miles in a year. That status will be gold. Platinum is 50,000 miles and executive platinum is 100,000 miles. The status is good for the balance of that year and the next year.

You do get extra miles as an elite member 25% extra as a gold member and 100% extra as a platinum or executive platinum. Those bonus miles add up quickly and can get you free flights or upgrades. Gold and platinum members also get upgrade certificates that can be used towards domestic and caribbean upgrades. I believe you get 4 five hundred mile certificates with every 10,000 miles flown. Executive platinum members get free upgrades is space is available. The higher your status, the more likely to get upgraded.

With American you have lifetime gold after 1,000,000 flown miles and lifetime platinum after 2,000,000 flown miles. They do not have to be within any given time period.

I hope that I have answered some of your questions. Please post any others that you have, as there are many experts who will be always happy to help you out.

8MiHi, rwoman and ACMM like this.
  9. jvjones13

jvjones13 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the replies. All of those perks are definitely worth coveting! I don't fly a ton, but hope to make more trips as our boys get older. I looked at my AA account and have no "elite qualifying miles". I am obviously thick as I'm just not getting it I don't think. So, are you saying that you have to actually FLY to earn elite qualifying miles to get to elite status? You can't earn elite qualifying miles through your CC (either through bonuses or actual purchases?).

So, since I actually haven't flown since March 2011, this is why I have no elite qualifying miles? And this is a rolling sort of thing unless you reach the lifetime levels?

Just wanted to clarify these points. Thanks again for being so nice to a newbie! :)
    Jules

LizzyDragon84, 8MiHi, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    For all us airlines qualification is on a calendar year basis. In general the miles need to be flown, with a few exceptions.

11. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes you can earn elite qualifying miles through your CC. If you have the $450 annual fee American Express Delta Reserve card, for example, you'd earn 15000 qualifying miles for spending $30,000 within a calendar year. 15000 more for spending $60,000. So in theory you can have Delta Silver status without ever stepping onto an airplane, plus the card gives you other benefits too, such as Delta Lounge access. The Delta Platinum card has somewhat lower spend requirements for somewhat lower qualifying miles.

Of course, not sure why you'd use a credit card that lets you collect miles if you never intend to step onto an airplane, but if it makes sense, go for it.

12. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup you gotta fly. Since you're with AA ... you can get the Citi Exec MC and all purchase will count to MM status but not for EQM/EQP i believe and only till Dec of this year.

You have to requalify every year ... and those benefits extend until I believe March 1st of the following year or something like that.

13. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A slight correction on the AA credit card. Only those who got the card by last December get mm miles and that ends this December unless by some miracle they change it. You still get 10,000 elite qualifying miles if you spend $40,000 in a year.

rwoman and edekba like this.
  14. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz and rwoman like this.
  15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can always do an AA elite challange, read more here: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Challenge_(AA)

rwoman likes this.
  16. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can get marco polo gold (oneworld sapphire) with an amex plat card I believe.

8MiHi and Kalboz like this.
  17. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this for the US plat or the international/Asia based one?

Kalboz likes this.
  18. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure. Haven't got it myself, but if you google marco polo gold amex platinum, I'm pretty sure you'll soon find out.

19. jvjones13

jvjones13 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks...I just need lots of miles in order to step onto an airplane with my family (4 tickets to Australia are expensive with money or miles!). We just don't fly much outside of this since we use all our vacation time up when we travel to Oz. :)

Kalboz and rwoman like this.
  20. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, only non US. There was a thread here on MP earlier. Sorry for hijacking the OP's thread.

Kalboz likes this.
  21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Getting four award seats on the same flights can be difficult depending on the time of year and which airline miles you are using. Best of luck!

22. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    maybe try to focus on getting 2 flights & paying for 2. It'll provide a lot more flexibility and its still like a BOGO =)

23. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If the goal is to use miles for all 4, probably best to split into two groups.

edekba likes this.
  24. jvjones13

jvjones13 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, will aim for 2 or 3. Won't have enough miles for 4 anyway. Though in future (when our boys are older and no longer fighting over who gets to sit next to Mommy) we will definitely consider splitting into 2 groups. Though, even getting 2 flights for free would be awesome. 3 would be amazing! :)

LizzyDragon84, 8MiHi and edekba like this.
  25. ezb

ezb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, this is the case. "Unfortunately" for me I earn all miles via my CC.