Question about Diamond Status/Trial

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by terpfan101, Jan 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. terpfan101

terpfan101 Member

Status Points:
    I'm considering trying to do the status challenge. I'm not too sure how many stays I would have during the year but would love to have it for my trip to Asia next summer (Tokyo, Kyoto, HK). The current challenge ends in April and thus wouldn't work for my stay. I'm considering giving it a go now and mattress running if needed. A few questions though to help my decision. My girlfriend also has points that she would use to redeem for some nights on our trip. Would it matter who has the diamond status as far as who makes the reservations? Thanks in advance!

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    She can book the award stay under your name while putting in your HGP #. So, if you have the Diamond status by the time she makes the reservation then you should be good to go. Just call the hotel and confirm that they see your Diamond status on the reservation.

3. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure I understand how the gf can use points from her HGP a/c & book it under the OP's HGP #.:confused: AFAIK, when one makes an award reservation with points, it would have that account's HGP # on the reservation. I'm sure that the other person can be added to the reservation (as a notation), and then notify the hotel to combine the various reservations for the stay so that diamond benefits are applied, but I am not aware that an award reservation can have the HGP # that is not that of the account owner (from whose account the points for the award reservation was made).
    If this were possible, I imagine it would require a call to HGP, as I don't see an option to do this on-line.

4. kdw038

kdw038 Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was discussing something similar to this with a relative of mine the other day. So, I tried to book a dummy reservation on Hyatt's website and it allowed me to switch the name and HGP # on the reservation. Also, if you look on TOBB, it was mentioned that you can book a reservation for someone else when using HGP points.

6. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting - this must be a new development, as this was definitely not always the case.:cool:

7. terpfan101

terpfan101 Member

Status Points:
    Awesome thanks everyone. Does everyone think that the challenge will start up again after the current one ends? I only have a couple of nights during this current one but more plus a few I can make paid on my Asia trip after this one ends.

8. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I will be in three Hyatts in May/June - Cannes, Park Hyatt Paris and GH Berlin. Did the Diamond Challenge in October, reached my 12 nights and I have Diamond status through Feb 2015 - long after my France/Germany trip. In the meantime, visited our son and his family in Washington DC twice and moved to Hyatt and have had unsolicited suite upgrades each time. So I see no need to wait.

9. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I signed up for the diamond challenge as well. Have started to stay. First 6 eligible nights it says receive 1000 points each. My question. If I stay two consecutive nights will I only receive 1000 points and not 2000?
    If I book 2 rooms during my trial period. Will both count towards the 12 nights?
    Anyone any advise/experience please? Thanks

10. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    from my understanding from the HGP staff, if you book 2 rooms on the same night, it will count as one night towards the challenge

11. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The trial diamond bonus will apply to the first 6 nights regardless of if they are all consecutive at one property or broken up into several stays. However the regular 500-1000 point choice for diamond amenity depending on property type is per stay.

Only one room per night counts for HGP status including challenges. They don't give extra elite credit for multiple rooms each night.

12. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, good to know!