Question about card "churning"

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by James K., Apr 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey there helpful folks.

I read a lot about credit card maximization and happily enjoy playing the game, but I realized there was something I didn't know. People often refer to the BofA Alaska Card or the Barclays US Airways card as "churnable," meaning you can get the same bonus multiple times.

I get that, but my question is this -- do you cancel the card, wait a bit, and then reapply, or do you simply apply even though you already have one and then have two World Mastercards at the same time?

Thanks for the help!

miaco likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen ppl do both.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  3. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    However, I think the conventional meaning is that you don't have to cancel. I have two US air cards. Didn't cancel. I have read on DD that he has like 4 SpG cards too. The citi AA cards were the same way with 18 months in between now. They used to be able to be churned much sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

4. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. If I got the US Air card a year ago, do you think I should apply again or wait a bit? Don't know how much longer it'll be around

5. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ymmv on how long. I got mine about 13 months afterwards and have read a few folks at much shorter time frames. Less chance to talk to a rep and explain why you need a second one. I had immediate approval on second one.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got my second US card about 8 or 9 months after the first, if memory serves right.

7. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had 5 US Air cards now. No more than 2 at a time. Closest applications with approvals were 91 days apart. Just canceled my last open one. Will probably apply again soon.

8. miaco

miaco Member

Status Points:
    Woah, I had no idea about this. Thanks!! Time to sign up and start churning :)

Cdnblue likes this.
  9. robertw477

robertw477 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't know you could hold more than one US air card at a time. I will keep that in mind.

10. anomadtoo

anomadtoo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great news on this front! A separate question, and maybe belongs in a different topic for which I cannot find.

I have exactly one year before I start applying for mortgage. Do you all think I can without issue squeeze in one more 2 (maybe 3) card app-o-rama? My last one was in December 12; and did three last year (every four months) for a total of 10 cards.

thanks for all your input!

11. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    depends on what your score is

12. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fit in one more app-o-rama??