Question About Booking For Others

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by g_arrington, Oct 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. g_arrington

g_arrington Active Member

Status Points:
    I have a a handful of employees that I have to send on business trips a couple of times per year (hotels only, no flying). How can I incorporate this into my points earning strategy? Can I book the rooms for them and receive the points? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jett Rink likes this.
  2. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    My personal opinion is that you shouldn't incorporate it into your points-earning strategy. They stay the nights, they should get the points. Going on business trips is not most people's idea of fun and little perks like hotel points can be a way of making it better for them. If they are not interested in points, you could probably work something out, or perhaps a better idea would be to teach them. Just my perspective.

mht_flyer and MX like this.
  3. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you travel with them, it's much easier. Just book the rooms under your name and pay for them all together to get the points.
    If they travel without you, even if you book under your name and # most hotels with change the name to the actually person traveling.
    And as mentioned above it's best to let the traveler get the credit.

Even if you can't get points you can get a cash back more easily. Book all the travel thru Ebates or Big Crumbs, and even if it's in another person name you can still get the cash back on the spend. The links are my referral links if you use them to sign up thank you..

4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't you just delegate the selection of where to stay and booking the rooms to them or a secretary?

I'm sure you've got better things to do with your time.

DTWBOB

5. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's definitely harder to get the points when you aren't the one doing the traveling. You're first decision is to decide what points earning card to put it on. If you always stay at a certain property (Hyatt, Priority Club, etc.) you'll want to decide if it's worth it to get the points for that specific program. If it's not then choose the card that will benefit what YOU want to do with the points you earn from their stay.

6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    as an ex road warrior I could not agree more, business travel sucks and your employees get to have a perk that you really didn't pay for (I'm guessing your employees travel in order for you the business owner to make more money) . If you are paying your employees well above average than perhaps take the points, but otherwise I'd let them have the points/miles.

IkeEsq likes this.
  7. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    All of the above notwithstanding, if you book the room, give your member #, and, and this is the key, pay for the room on your credit card (even if it’s only room and tax), you will get the points. You may not get the stay (certainly not more than one stay credit for multiple rooms), but you’ll get the points and you’ll get something towards nights.

I have experience on both sides of this equation - as the one whose room was paid for by the employer and as the one doing the booking and paying for the room. When it was done for me and that person had their member # on the reservation, that person got the credits despite my trying to get them for myself; when I did it for others, I got the credits. Doesn’t matter if the boarder tries to give their own member #.

However, if you’re only picking up room and tax, they will get points from any spend they do on their card.

8. ryan246

ryan246 Member

Status Points:
    The only time I had the opportunity to get points for someone else's stay is when our company had several consultants in for meetings and we negotiated a group rate. When I received the contract, all of the room charges could be billed to a single credit card. Since I was going to be paying for the rooms anyway, I gave my credit card number. At the bottom of the form I could put in my frequent guest number if I wanted the points.

I know of some companies who keep their employee's frequent flyer miles. I would never work for them!

Sweet Willie likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The answer is in T&C, which state that one can earn points for a maximum of two rooms:

10. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    While the OP did not state which chain he’s looking at, most of the chains have now restricted this to 2 rooms, such as the Hilton rules you quote. Many years ago, I was able to receive the points for up to 4 rooms. But then I stopped checking how many rooms and went under the assumption that the maximum number would be apportioned.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for catching my conditioned reflex about assuming that all hotel discussions are about Hilton:D . It is likely that other chains have different rules...

12. g_arrington

Status Points:
    Sorry for the tardy response, Ive been awat for a few days. Thank you for the suggestions on how to reap some benefit from this situation. I agree that points are a perk and dont have an issue with my employees getting the benefit of this, that being said none of them are taking advantage of the points and would be more than happy not to make the reservations, put the rooms on their cards, etc.

To sum up the advice given, when we all go on a conferen=e together, I can have my secfetary book all rooms under my name and put on my credit card and I should at least get the cc points for all of course and should get hotel points for at least 2 rooms?

Thanks for the help.

13. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife's company (small company) makes them use their corporate AmEx, which gives the points benefit to the CEO. However, the CEO uses all those MR points to buy gift cards and gives them out as company party gifts. It's especially nice considering they've been on a 2-3 year raise freeze. This year, we received a $50 Home Depot card and 2 free nights at the Westin Napa, which we're using for our anniversary next year.

I think this is the ethical way of using points when they are accrued in a pool of people.

14. g_arrington

Status Points:

That is a nice gesture and good idea. In my situation, we are not talking about very much travel. I have 5 employees in my office and we all go on one conference a year together and I also send each one to another training or two each year. None are big travelers and to my knowledge, all of the potential points are going to waste.