Question about Bank of America/FIA

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by curiousgeorge, Dec 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,Just curious about Boa/Fia.....Do they play Let's Make a Deal with credit lines like Chase will?

I have a Boa card with a line of 30k plus,and since I've learned alot of things here I've been concentrating on other spends! Thanks everyone!

Now I think it's time to leverage my line with Boa and see what I can acquire.

Thanks in advance,
    Geo

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Boa seems to allow you to get multiple of the same card :)

wrxmom and jbcarioca like this.
  3. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    FIA closed one card for me and transferred the credit to another card. I wish I had asked for 1/2 of the credit and tried to keep the card open. It was one of my oldest cards and it has hurt my length of credit history.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is very similar between the two. Bank of America will allow you to switch limits between cards or open a new account and move credit line from an old one.

Also if you have an old account that you don't want to lose but don't expect to use for some time, Bank of America will suspend the account for you but keep it open and available if you want it. When you request that your cards will not have 'open to buy' but remain in good standing with credit line intact and can be reactivated with a telephone call. That can be useful, especially if for any reason you want to hold a very old account open.

They also will allow you to move from a business line to a personal one or vice versa, BUT, a very big BUT, in order to move anything between personal and business you must talk with each credit analyst individually and neither will guarantee the cooperation of the other because business and personal are different businesses entirely at Bank of America. IME and that of a couple other people I know they usually do so without problems other than the hassle of talking with people who do not have access to the records of the other.

curiousgeorge likes this.
  5. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Silver Member

Status Points:
    Way back when.....Boa took over MBNA...I had accounts with both, rather large lines with both, they cancelled the oldest account I had and left me with the MBNA account which I currently have.
    I wasn't really up on credit reports etc at the time but the card they cancelled was at least 7 years older than the one they left me with! I'm sure it was a credit hit but I was oblivious!

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oldest account on file, if more than, say, five years or so, will not materially affect an otherwise stable credit decisioning process, and rarely will even change a generic score. Account changes due to merger and acquisition are, however, not independently verifiable as a general rule. OTOH, MBNA historically had one of the cleanest credit portfolios in the US.

curiousgeorge likes this.
  7. robertw477

robertw477 Silver Member

Status Points:
    BTW FIA/BOA is a company with some of the best customer service. They are fairly genrous with credit lines as well and I have a great relationship with them. I wish they had more products. I have the Fidelity Card 2% with them and Merril Lynch card.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been a BofA customer for about 8 years now, and I would disagree with this statement. I think their customer service is mediocre at best. Most of the time it's not too bad, but when it's bad, it's absolute crap.

marcwint55 and jbcarioca like this.
  9. robertw477

robertw477 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do gigantic business with them and never a single problem and issue in many years. ill challenge you any day to find better service out there than my merrill lynch card. And fidelity is excellent as well. I dont call credit card companies all the time but when I do it might be something important. Chase and Barclays are terrible. Chase in a class of their own.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll admit to some naiveté when it comes to BofA products. I had the old Schwab 2% VISA that got converted hamstrung into a BofA card a few years ago. Since then I think I've been using it as a coaster.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but can any one link me to (or PM me with) a compelling reason to look at BofA products?

11. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is different than Chase, Citi or Amex. If you need/want another source for Hilton points you can get the Virgin Atlantic, BOH, BOA Hawaiian airlines cards that convert to 2x the Hilton points.

LETTERBOY and Ed Chandler like this.
  12. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good point, Singapore Flyer! I forgot that the VA cards were theirs and they are on the horizon for me ... but I just haven't worked my way that far down my "wish list" yet.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  13. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish I had a long enough wish list...but I haven't gotten that far either...just to the VA card. however, now they are bugging the crap out of me with junk mail for their really crappy cards...from a Miles and Points stand point.

14. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Two words ... "wood-burning stove."
    (And yes, grammar nerds, that's a one-word compound adjective.)