Question about Award Class Change

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Ed Chandler, Sep 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, all

I'm aware that there's no fee to change an AA award if all you're changing is the dates. Does that hold true if you're also changing the CLASS of service?

Example:
    I book an award on AA from ORD to HNL in coach because there's nothing available in business.
    If space opens up in business, can I change the award I booked for the difference between the coach and business redemption, or is there some additional fee or penalty?

Thanks.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Historically you should be able to upgrade the class with no fee.

3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Dave, I know that many have not been charged a change fee for "upgrading" the class of service. However, the following is from the AA web site:

Changes that require different award type -
    Changes to the itinerary which involve different AAdvantage® award(s) than originally ticketed require a reinstatement of the original award ticket, payment of the applicable award reinstatement charge (see below), and a new award ticket issued (waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum® members using miles from their account).

Since the original booking was for coach and if business comes up, I would assume that AA would be within its rights to charge for the change.

It may be that AA does not follow the "rule" but it is there so they could charge for the change.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Right, that's why I did add the "historically" portion to my response. The language suggests a fee but in practice AA doesn't charge it. AA has not typically charged this if you move to a higher cabin but it does if you move down a cabin.

Here's a link to the Flyerguide page on AA award change fees, the sixth bullet point is of interest: LINK.

Award level change: $150 USD (FlyerTalkers [1] report no fee for changing to a higher level award, subject to availability)

5. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have not been charged for upclassing an award, but I have not done so in a couple of years.

6. LiveLaughLoveTravel
    Original Member

LiveLaughLoveTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I upclassed an award in July, and there was no fee, despite what it said online.

7. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, the big question is, how often does more inventory in the higher classes open up as the flight date approaches?

I've got some coach awards and I just used some, and for all, I've watched carefully and not seen a single increase on EF.

But my sample size is obviously small. Any idea if this really happens? I've up-classed an award before, but AFAIK, the seats were available the whole time - I just changed my mind. How often does AA open more seats to awards?