Question about Award Availability

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by robertw477, Feb 16, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. robertw477

robertw477 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It has been a while since I booked some AA awards. Lately as I get closer in to my dates does any additional inventory pop up on AA metal? Hoping to make a minor change to an award ticket for my wife and American shows 1 seat available (in F) when I want it.

Robert

Mapsmith likes this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt anyone, anywhere can give an definitive answer to that question since AA awards have lost any predictability they ever had.
    Sometime in the not too distant past by looking at awards regularly say on Expert flyer ...one could predict award release with an almost absolute (certainty particularly for far out awards .. say 8-10 months) .. not anymore.

One thing that might work in you favor (I haven't looked at that aspect recently) was that up to month ago most awards were showing up only about 2-3 weeks before travel dates.

However within the last week or so I have noticed an significant increase of award inventory now showing up at least the TA routes so I rather suspect the AA has reverted at least for now to their old pattern.

Confused? you aught be:) I would suggest you set an alert on EF for what you need.. but in the past they did seem to release more F inventory (much) closer in.

Mapsmith and Newscience like this.
  3. robertw477

robertw477 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you know if Alaska pulls the same identical inventory as what I find on aa.com?

Thanks for the info

Rob

Mapsmith likes this.
  4. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last I did this, which was last year, it was a giant pain in the butt and quite unpredictable. I used ExpertFlyer to track availability and on the routes I was looking at they released one seat at a time quite far apart. This was SAAver inventory that I needed to book using BA miles. I started looking a year out, booked one seat then, another two months later, booked another waited more months, another etc. Each leg separately since they never released seats on the direct flights at decent times to SAAver. Took more miles and lots of work but got it done eventually. Of course they rescheduled various flights but I'd booked us with a 3-hour layover so it all worked out. Giant pain in the a. This year I just blew miles on the same trip to avoid having to deal with it.

Mapsmith likes this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no experience with AS awards. I just hope based on what I currently see with AA availability that inventory being released has returned to somewhat similar to pre 2014 levels.
    Since you didn't specify a route it difficult to speculate and bearing in mind that AA is reducing/eliminating F inventory fleet-wise I would keep my fingers crossed.

6. robertw477

robertw477 Silver Member

Status Points:
    MIA-LHR I mentioned Alaska because i have seen some AA flights showing available on Alaska previously but not on AA.com

Thanks

7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA isn't as predictable with last-minute space compared to airlines like CX, LH, LX, etc.

8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    So let me get this right you have one F award booked and you are seeking another? . What date?

9. robertw477

robertw477 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Trying to make a change on my wife's outbound flight if possible to May 11 or May 12 (Non STOP- MIA-LHR)

So far I guess I am lucky to find any space on this route in F. For the longest time I was only seeing BA flights or bad routings through NY.

Thanks
    Robert

10. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your best bet is to monitor regularly.

If you don't want to check back every day multiple times a day, consider an expertflyer subscription after asking others on the board to make sure you can still monitor AA flights. I let my subscription go after they stopped monitoring UA awards. With a subscription, you can have it send you an alert for the day and routing in question.

11. robertw477

robertw477 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes Ill check that. Also if they monitor Alaska in case they show something aa does not. I have seen that at least once. Previously I thought they pull the same availability

Robert

12. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    ... you should check out WA tools. he has a tool that checks qantas (i believe) a few times a day and will send you an email if it finds what you told it to look for.

13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK I checked Expert Flyer for 5 days preceding and after your desired dates and there is no F inventory out MIA or DFW to LHR.
    Basically I would suggest you either decide to fly out of JFK or open an account with EF and set-up an alert so you will notified by email immediately if and when it becomes available.
    EF checks AA on real-time basis and is (way) more accurate than any third party or AA partner site.... BA, QF and the like.

In addition do not expect Alaska to be able to book awards (even though they may show them) that are not available on AA.com, in fact the reverse is most likely the case.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    flyforawg likes this.