Question about airline credit cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by tbemille3, Mar 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tbemille3

tbemille3 Active Member

Status Points:
    I everyone, I'm new to this miles/points world and I have a question about airline credit cards. Am I able to combine miles earned on airline credit cards from two accounts? For example, if my wife and I both sign up for the United Explorer Card and get the sign up bonus, can I then transfer both bonuses into my United FF account in order to book award travel? Or would she have to get a United FF account in order to book award travel also? I would like to be able to get the miles into one account so that I can book flights for us together rather than have to book flights individually.

Thanks for your help!

tondoleo and miles and smiles like this.
  2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint!
    Most airlines do not allow you to combine accounts. United does not. However, you can book a ticket for another person using miles in your account.

tondoleo likes this.
  3. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    For airline specific credit cards - the answer is no. The name on the card and the name on the FF account needs to match.

For "general" credit card that allows transfer to an airline (Amex, Chase Sapphire, etc) - the answer is yes. You can transfer the miles/points pretty much to whom ever you want. I'm sure there are some card specific restriction on that, but it is much easier than the airline specific cards.

tondoleo likes this.
  4. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome TBmille3.

If your credit score can deal with multiple card applications you and the Mrs. may want to consider getting the Chase Sapphire Preferred card too. You would each get 50000 Ultimate Rewards points that you could transfer to your UA account when you need to. The first year fee is free. The points come after spending $ 3000 in the first 3 months. The Sapphire card is a very good travel card. Double points for airlines, hotels, restaurants. No foreign exchange fees. Many members of Milepoint have discussed having this card. The benefits are You should be able to transfer the points to one of the accounts.

Good luck. Happy travels. Enjoy Milepoint.

5. tbemille3

tbemille3 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you very much for your help; I really appreciate it!

6. tbemille3

tbemille3 Active Member

Status Points:
    Would I be able to get the Sapphire Preferred, the Ink Bold, and the United Explorer card all in one shot or is that too many Chase cards at once?

7. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is probably too many Chase cards at once, especially if you already have any other Chase Cards. The general rule of thumb is that they will approve 1 personal and 1 business every 30 days. When I first got started though, we did manage to get 2 personal Chase cards in a single app day for my wife, but we didn't try adding on a business card. I would assume that they won't approve three, even if one is business.

8. tbemille3

tbemille3 Active Member

Status Points:
    Great, thank you for your insight. There is so much to learn, it can be overwhelming at times! I appreciate your help

9. tbemille3

tbemille3 Active Member

Status Points:
    Great, thank you for your insight. There is so much to learn, it can be overwhelming at times! I appreciate your help

10. tbemille3

tbemille3 Active Member

Status Points:

11. tbemille3

tbemille3 Active Member

Status Points:

12. Len Williams
    Original Member

Len Williams Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are correct that it is a bunch of information to learn. If you start slow and build some confidence through experience, you and the wife will be flying high soon.

13. sajidhafiz63

sajidhafiz63 New Member

Status Points:
    hello sajid from india can someone transfer their miles reward point to my a/c-jet-
    airways or thai airways