Question about 'abandoning' a ticket

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by leleo, Feb 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. leleo

leleo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi there!

I bought a LHR-KEF-YYZ ticket on Icelandair with a 3-day stopover in Reykjavik. Now I need to change it to LHR-KEF-LHR on the exact same dates.

The airline wants to change me over 500 usd to make this change and a new KEF-LHR ticket on the same airline costs just 160 usd.

Sorry for the newbie question, but would there be any problem if I didn't show up for the KEF-YYZ portion and showed up for the new KEF-LHR instead at the same check-in counter?

Cheers!
    Leo

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have reservations that conflict, you risk having the ticket(s) cancelled by the airline.

3. leleo

leleo Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I buy KEF-LHR on another airline (even though it would be more expensive), would they charge me the no-show fee for KEF-YYZ? How do they charge this fee anyway if you bought the ticket through a third-party?

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What no-show fee? I haven't heard of this, just a fee to change the ticket or the loss of any residual value in the ticket, but I don't know the policies of your airline.

5. leleo

leleo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have only read about no-show fees, but was never actually charged one. After all, I always show up! :D Cheers, GRUeconomist.

6. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why don't you call Icelandair and tell them the possibility of cancelling the ticket? If they ever told me that it will cost me 500 USD to change a ticket, I'll definitely ask them if it's ok to cancel the ticket and buy a new one. It's in their interest because if they can sell your seat to someone else.

If they said no, then just hang up and buy a new ticket.