Question about AA Systemwide Upgrades

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Biffrutt, Feb 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I recently passed the 2 million mile mark and received 4 systemwide upgrades. My wife and I are going to Europe in June, and have cleared the upgrade list on our outbound flight, but are still stuck in Coach for our return from Paris.

Does anybody have a "trick" to facilitate the upgrade on teh CDR-ORD return leg? I've not had systemwides before and don't know the ins and outs.

Thanks to all.

JALPak, Tenmoc and AmericanGirl like this.
  2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello Biffrutt and welcome. :)

SWU seats on AA are capacity controlled, and a specific fare bucket must have availability for them to clear (A for First, C for Business). If the inventory is not available at the time of booking, you should be able to waitlist through the AA elite desk. There is more information on this over at Flyer Guide and the folks down in the AA forum may know better as well.

jbcarioca and JALPak like this.
  3. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome Biffrutt

travelingmore and jbcarioca like this.
  4. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you do not have access to the EXP desk? AA CSR can ask revenue control to free a couple c bucket seats if the cabin is undersold and they are more likely to be willing to send the request for you closer to the departure date. If it is very important would suggest you invest in ExpertFlyer.com and set up an alert for c bucket seats on the flight, one tip is to set up two alerts - one for two seats and one for one seat. If they begin to clear C bucket one at a time you can grab each one as it becomes available.

Good Luck!

jbcarioca, neuatomic and KimK like this.
  5. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will second this good advice. The ExpertFlyer alert has notified me of suddenly-available C seats many times. A quick call to AA and the upgrade clears. I don't know if it wouldn't have cleared anyway, but its nice to be pro-active and to be sure to grab the seat when it comes available. I've found ExpertFlyer to be a very useful tool for several additional reasons.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Echo the others. ExpertFlyer seems expensive until the first time you set an alert and it works. After almsot 8 million AAdvantage miles and countless SWU I think ExpertFlyer is the cheapest insurance there is. I have had an upgrade for myself and Mrs. jb 100%. There are very few ways to do that.

A caveat. There are flights that will be packed in all classes. Avoid those if you want an upgrade. Even if you must take one of those ExpertFlyer alerts still improve your odds. The EXP desk is very helpful, the best in the business IMHO.