Question about a codeshare...maybe???

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Up&Away, Oct 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Up&Away

Up&Away Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a rt ticket booked for me and one leg of it was on UA metal. The rest was AA. The boarding pass shows a UA flight number, but has my AA frequent flier number on it. I was never able to access this leg on aa.com or united.com to choose a seat or print a boarding pass, but could see it on either site. My question: will I get AA miles for this leg? I was targeted for a pretty generous bonus for a rt flight on AA thru Business ExtrAA, so I'm hoping the whole thing will count and I'll get the miles I flew + the bonus. For information purposes, miles for the other legs flown have all posted, but this one leg is MIA on either site.

jbcarioca and Jett Rink like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will not get AA credit for the flight on UA metal.

If you still have the BP you can claim retro-credit from UA or other *A programs.

jbcarioca and Jett Rink like this.
  3. Up&Away

Up&Away Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply. Seeing the AA ff# made me think I might. I do still have my boarding pass, so I will request credit from UA.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only time I had a flight on AA get me UA miles was when a flight that I had booked on UA got rebooked on AA by UA because of an irregular operation...

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And in such a situation you can claim on both UA (original routing credit, a/k/a ORC) and on AA or an AA partner. Double dipping is fun.

Counsellor and jbcarioca like this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, and a big however, many invols are booked in non-accruable fare classes, so miles, if any, will come from the original carrier. I have had that happen twice with LHR-GIG flights (BA of course) and once JFK-NRT(JL put me on UA). Those seem to be rare, but when they happen seem mostly to be LH trips according to my airline friends.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've never had a reroute in to a non-earning fare bucket. Bummer.

jbcarioca and Counsellor like this.
  8. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here -- in fact my experience has been just the opposite: often my orignial booking is on a cut-price fare, but the re-route is in Y. Once I had been upgraded on the original booking, and the re-route was into F so I got class-of-service bonus on the rebooked carrier.

jbcarioca likes this.