Question about a car rental

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by xhunter33x, Jan 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. xhunter33x

xhunter33x Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be going to Cincinnati for 16 days in April and will be needing a rental car. I have driven a 5/6 speed manual sports car for the last 31 years. Renting a sports car for a day or so is ok, but a total waste of money for that length of time (plus I'll have two adult passengers). I have a very hard time maneuvering a large car, and the compact cars are....too compact. I'm thinking of a mid sized SUV. Does anyone have an opinion about that type of rental as this trip will involve A LOT of driving :-/ More importantly, any suggestions on the best price or any particular discounts that would be most advantageous? Paying to fly First Class is one thing, but unless that SUV is going to drive itself while I nap and bring me something to eat, I want to pay as little as possible. :) Thanks for any suggestions.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're not interested to earn points / miles with rent I suggest EasyTerra

xhunter33x likes this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    go to Orbitz & other aggregate sites, get a market price for the car you are looking for. Then hit a few individual car rental sites, don't neglect to price out Enterprise locations as you could take a bus from CVG, the get picked up by Enterprise.

Once you have a confirmed (yet cancelable) quote you are comfortable with, go & hit the heck out Priceline, bid way low. You are in CVG in off season so chances are good that you can nab a deal. If a super low priceline deal hits, go back & cancel other reservation.

xhunter33x likes this.
  4. xhunter33x

xhunter33x Silver Member

Status Points:
    YOU ARE AWESOME, WILLIE !!!! Thanks so much!!!!!! :)

5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind, if you count on paying with a credit card which offers free car loss damage insurance: some cards don't cover SUVs and most don't cover sports cars or "luxury" cars, however the company chooses to define that. Usually mid-size SUVs are ok -- but not always!

xhunter33x likes this.
  6. xhunter33x

xhunter33x Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much for that tip as that would never have even crossed my mind!