Question about 500-mile Upgrade Stickers

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by daemon14, Dec 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry about the newbieness of this question, but I have never used stickers and am kind of confused what to expect with them.

I have a 2-person domestic reservation with one PLT and one non-status passenger. Each leg of the trip requires 5 500-mile upgrade stickers for each passenger, so 10 each way. Right now, it's showing a 767-300 as the aircraft, so an upgrade to the new business seats with stickers would be great (mileage upgrade is too much with co-pay for a day flight).

Right now, the PLT account has 12 stickers. I know that if we can upgrade on the first segment, we'll have enough stickers for that leg.

However, if we get upgraded on the first segments, we'll be left with 2 stickers and will need 8 more to upgrade the return. Do we have to buy the 8 stickers before getting upgraded, or can we see that there's an upgrade available and then buy the stickers?

Reason I ask is that I'd rather save $240 for later than for a possible upgrade. To make matters more complicated, both flights are rather close to each other, so the 72 hour windows overlap.

2. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You must have stickers in your account before an upgrade will clear. Otherwise, it will never get cleared. You have to eat the cost upfront and just hope it clears.

3. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is 100% not correct.

You can request an upgrade and be upgraded without any stickers in your account, but then must purchase the stickers either before you check in online or when you checkin at a kiosk.

If your upgrade does not clear before checkin, you will need to buy the stickers to be added to the wait list or can simply not request to be added to the list and check in with your original Y seats.

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    The important part of this advice is to be sure to buy stickers BEFORE you check in. I have heard of people losing their upgrade because they checked in without enough stickers.

As an aside, if you're flying 2500 miles, you may be close to hitting your next set of stickers.

rwoman, daemon14 and John777 like this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Also, agent assisted purchase = additional service fee. :cool:

rwoman likes this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget that if they equipment swap, you're still upgraded and can't downgrade... so if it changes to a 757 or an old 767, you may be hosed.

7. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks ... so we can get the upgrade at 72 hours without the upgrade stickers in our account, and then get the upgrade so long as we buy the stickers before checking in? Sounds fair. I'll make sure to do that online to save $40.

The trip is just under 2500, so only 5 stickers needed. Also, I think that it'd still be 5 stickers if it were < 2551 miles.

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should you get the upgrade then fail to buy the stickers, you may lose your seat and void your ticket. Caveat emptor.

I'd buy the stickers now. It's not like you're not going to use them. Hell, if you have an Amex Platinum, they even reimburse for them (up to $200 a year), so that's another plus...

rwoman likes this.
  9. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amex will only reimburse the airline expense if you register that airline with them. It is not automatic.

rwoman likes this.
  10. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't have the AMEX Plat but am familiar with it ... would one have to buy the stickers separately so that they get flagged as a smaller expense that's refundable? i.e., buy 1 sticker at a time at $30 instead of buying a few at a time?

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't, but I had to push them for reimbursement. I held them to their published terms.

Reports of people buying smaller amounts (1 at a time) seemed to work better.

As mentioned above, you must register for that airline.

12. manfromkrypton
    Original Member

manfromkrypton Silver Member

Status Points:
    May I ask what cities your itinerary is? I am assuming its a domestic ticket, but want to make sure - someone else just asked me that question on a flight the other day, but was for an international itinerary - which I don't believe you can use stickers for.

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You cannot use stickers on AA's definition of an international flight. AA's "domestic" flights do include some international destinations though.

Also, the 2nd sentence of the OP's post says he has a domestic flight :)

rwoman likes this.