Question about 3 destinations

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MSYgirl, Jul 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just found out I'm going on a trip in a few months that's not on my schedule. The problem is I have no idea where I am going. It's a mystery trip to a new country I have not yet visited, and the person planning it will only give me a list of 3 destinations to narrow it down (that's my only clue).

My question: Is there one thing that stands out in these places that is something I should definitely not miss? A landmark, attraction, etc.? At least when I get to where ever it is I am going I will have some ideas of what to do and see there.

Possible destinations:
    Rome (I doubt this because I have been to Italy before - Pisa and Florence)
    Barcelona
    Istanbul

Thanks.

tondoleo and anileze like this.
  2. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Might wanna avoid Istanbul right now... Just sayin

tondoleo likes this.
  3. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point, and I know the person planning it would never put me/us in danger. Perhaps this helps narrow it down to Barcelona? ;)

tondoleo likes this.
  4. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Especially since you've been to Italy

tondoleo and MSYgirl like this.
  5. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few discoveries...

Since I was concerned about the travel advisory to Istanbul, I have confirmed that is not our destination. And to clarify the new country comment, I misspoke and it was a new "passport stamp" that I would be getting. Considering my last trip to Italy garnered a Pisa stamp, Rome is still a possibility as much as Barcelona.

And then there were two. My Spanish is pretty good, but I need to work on my Italian just in case. :eek:

tondoleo and anileze like this.
  6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Barcelona: Gaudi, Picasso Museum, Tapas bars, Catch a Barca soccer game is you can get a ticket and they are playing (It is an experience not to be missed), Stroll the La Rambla.

Rome: Don't miss the Vatican Museums and Gallerie Borghese. Open air street cafes.

tondoleo and MSYgirl like this.
  7. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    try to avoid Istanbul or change that destination to another place.

anileze and tondoleo like this.
  8. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My last reply eliminated that destination, no worries.

anileze and tondoleo like this.
  9. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    oh then its ok. sorry i did not read that one. :)

anileze, MSYgirl and tondoleo like this.
  10. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the event it is Rome you definitely need to go to the top of St. Peters. It gives a phenomenal view of the spraaaawling city!

11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Echo suggestions on top of St. Peter's and Vatican. I would also consider a half day to see the various fountains (Trevi, Piazza Navoa) and Coliseum and Pantheon.

For Barcelona, Sagrada Familia is a must, along with a quick visit to Las Ramblas. We enjoyed coffee at Cafe Zurich. Waterfront is also worth some time, too.

12. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Barcelona: Park Guell. A great place to hike/walk and enjoy some of Gaudi's designs.

anileze and MSYgirl like this.
  13. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll need to make a list of all of these suggestions to bring with me. Thanks!

anileze likes this.
  14. ttoolkit123

ttoolkit123 New Member

Status Points:
    Yes decide any place and go fot it.

15. ttoolkit123

ttoolkit123 New Member

Status Points:
    Yes , any thing..

16. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Through a slip of the tongue, I found out it's Rome! Thanks for the advice above and any more to be added. The trip is Tuesday - Saturday, so now I need to make a list of these recommendations. :)

mirohacek likes this.
  17. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rome is easy... many landmarks and must-see attractions... obviously many city piazzas, churces and fountains... but make sure that you visit Vatican City, Vatican museums and St. Peters cathedral (make sure you are properly dresses, as shorts and t-shirts with no sides are not permitted)... and there is ancient Rome with Colosuem and Palatino... :rolleyes:

MSYgirl likes this.
  18. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love being back in Italy. I've already visited the Colosseum, Palatino, ruins, fountains, ate outside for lunch and dinner, and even went to a concert tonight. Tomorrow is Vatican City which will cover the museum, S. Chapel and St. Peter's (bought tickets online for 4 euros extra but you get the skip the lines). After that and Friday it's wherever I want to go since I have covered all of my must-see/must-do checklist items already. I've already hopped on a random bus or two just to see where it will take me, so I imagine Thursday and Friday will be more of those adventures.

Thanks again for all the tips.

anileze and KathInJax like this.
  19. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    Try to go the Trompe L'oeil ceiling at St Ignatius church. We actually enjoyed it more than the Sistene Chapel. From the Pantheon, when looking at the Pantheon, take a left (away from Piazza Novona) and it should be 1-2 blocks away.

Wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sant'Ignazio_Church,_Rome

Have fun in Rome!

anileze and MSYgirl like this.
  20. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't get to the church today, but I did go to the Vatican. I visited the museum and S. Chapel. Buying tickets in advance online was a waste as there was no line. The museum and chapel were disappointing, and they definitely do not enforce the dress code requirements they list in their rules. Think tube tops and daisy dukes...real classy. :eek: I ate lunch outside of the Pantheon and will spend my last day putting around until my evening flight out of Italy.

KathInJax and anileze like this.
  21. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Get lost in a residential neighborhood, and then pick a outdoor cafe and have a very lazy lunch, read the newspaper. My best meal experiences have been in makeshift cafes in the farmers markets in the various squares in and around Italian towns..