Query/Advice about possible complaint

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by JAbrams72, Nov 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. JAbrams72
    Original Member

JAbrams72 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am looking for advice on a potential letter of complaint. (I'm not looking for compensation of any sort, just hoping to make sure that something out of my control doesn't come back to haunt me).

I was flying with my partner on a 767 internationally yesterday (I'm EXP and she's Plat). We were in 21A/B and the flight was fully sold (including row 17). About an hour before landing, my partner got up to use the toilet and when she came back, the flight attendant was sitting in the jumpseat blocking the aisle (the fasten seat belt sign was not on). The flight attendant told her to go around, so she went to the other aisle, realised that people in row 20 had stuff on the floor, so went back and asked the FA politely if she meant that she should go all the way to the back of the plane, to which the FA huffed and got up, letting her pass. About two minutes later, the FA stormed back to us in a huff and asked for her name. I asked for hers and pointed out that she had our names on the manifest. She said she needed them to 'report Exit issues' and walked off. Rather than asking to speak with the purser/CSD, we decided to let it go, and never saw her again, including deboarding with no issue.

Assuming that's where it ends, I don't see a need to do anything; my guess is that she was unhappy because row 17 was taken by passengers and towards the end of the flight she took it out on my partner. But I'm wondering if it's worth filing something officially in terms of having it on the record in case she tries to annotate either of our accounts.

Thanks.

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have addressed with with the Purser...not appropriate for an FA not to get up to simply let someone pass by, barring exceptional circumstances.

You could send a note to AA, especially if you took not of her name, but I'm not sure much would happen.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Nothing will come of this, don't sweat it

LETTERBOY and Wandering Aramean like this.
  4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Save your time and energy -- it's always a good idea to get up and move around once in a while on a long flight.

Wait a week and you'll feel better about it.

DTWBOB

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely-- there is no risk of any repercussions, etc.

But, I'd definitely, definitely report the incident-- just because it's-- if exactly as described-- a very, very crappy FA. Unstable sounding to me. So, while it likely won't help, definitely worth writing in and reporting.

Don't hesitate to do so.

But, as Gleff stated, zero risk of "having it on the record in case she tries to annotate either of our accounts" or anything like that.

anabolism and bucketlist like this.
  6. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree on reporting it. Take pains to avoid anything beyond bare facts and ask what is a passenger to do in such a situation (where a FA blocks passage) so you'll know how to handle the situation better next time. (I think the FA was outrageous, but chances of some good coming out of this - retraining or psych eval. of the FA - are best if you don't sound outraged)

anabolism and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please let us know what you decide to do.

8. JAbrams72
    Original Member

JAbrams72 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all, my impulse was to let it go assuming it would have no effect on me, but I think I will take Gary and Jon's advice to send a polite letter.
    Thanks all!

anabolism likes this.