Queens residents fighting for quieter planes in NYC

Discussion in 'EWR/LGA/JFK/ISP/HPN/SWF | NYC Area Airports' started by MSYgirl, Dec 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    [article]

Some Queens residents say that airplane noise is lowering their quality of life, and they are hoping that a new bill will quiet the roar of planes passing overhead.

New legislation would require airlines to stock their fleets with new, quieter planes that meet a lower noise level standard.

The Silent Skies Act gives airlines until 2035 for all commercial airplanes to be fitted.

"We suffer. It's not easy living a heartbeat away from a runway," said Rose Marie Poveromo, a resident of Astoria Heights.

"Our airports will never be perfect neighbors, but we can certainly can make them better ones," said Rep. Joe Crowley, whose district covers parts of Queens and the Bronx.

The bill would also authorize federal funding for research and development of quieter engines.

Crowley says he hopes to have the new legislation passed as soon as possible.

gregm and marcwint55 like this.
  2. gaijin62

gaijin62 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course it's a good idea to find ways to make airports a bit quieter, but how can you move to a neighborhood near an airport and not think the noise is going to be bothersome?

marcwint55, 8MiHi and MSYgirl like this.
  3. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are so many answers to this question that I don't know where to begin. Bothersome is a slight inconvenience. Unable to hear yourself speak in a conversation or hear others is beyond bothersome. When my parents bought there first very small house in queens ny about 20 minutes from what was then idlewild airport (now JFK ) do you think they or anyone else realized how fast air travel would grow? NO. And no one could predict the changing air patterns and increases in flights. Yet over the next 20 years every summer as we enjoyed our simple life outdoors we would feel a slight 'earthquake' as jets (no longer planes) flew over and we were silent. It is hard to find housing for the working class in queens NY that isn't near an airport. Of course they may think the noise may be some bothersome but without a choice in many cases there is no alternative. Seek first to understand.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

anileze likes this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The biggest problem IMO is the changing patterns and increased volume... I remember going to visit friends near 130th & Sutter and even on Sundays it would be ridiculous how frequent and noisy planes were. And this was about a decade ago, now things are even worse.

anileze and Betty Boop like this.
  5. gaijin62

gaijin62 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand.
    From 1996 until 2001 (when I had a sudden revelation that living in an airport flight path might not be such a good idea) I lived in San Diego in an apartment at 1st ave & Hawthorn. This is just at the top of the hill that then descends to the Lindberg Field runway.
    Of course the airplanes and jets all existed before I moved in, so I knew to some degree what I was getting into.
    If I moved in and years later the sound levels increased and became more frequent I would be enraged too.

anileze, Betty Boop and viguera like this.
  6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Queens is a unique case. Both it's airports - Laguardia and JFK grew beyond what was ever imagined, and families that bought into that area of the borough saw a rapid transformation of air travel quite rapidly in the 60s through 80s. The airport authorities (PANYNJ) and residents are in a eternal tussle to combat noise as a result of rapid growth. Thankfully those living close to LGA, know that the airport cannot expand ;) but that is not true of Idlewind/JFK.

Betty Boop and gaijin62 like this.
  7. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Silver Member

Status Points:
    During the US Open, traffic to LGA would get routed over my neck of the woods. I noticed it but I didn't think it was terrible.

I think a bigger issue are the above ground trains (i.e. the 7 Line) running down Roosevelt Ave and in Astoria... now that is some window shaking loudness no one should have to deal with.