Quebec Winter Carnaval

Discussion in 'Other North America/non U.S.' started by IMGone, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I visited Quebec during their Winter Carnaval Festival for the second time. It's amazing to see how much fun can be had with ice and snow. There are snow sculpting competitions of various levels (and you can see the difference), and rides (they had more this year) including a zipline, an ice sled, rafting on the snow, sledding on tires, skating, etc ...

Here are some pictures of the event. The main grounds are directly outside the walled city, so I stay at the Hilton which is just a block or two away.

Here are some pictures of the event:

The mascot - Bon Homme. This little guy was your ticket to the entire event including the rides (only two that I went on required a nominal additional payment)

11 jan Bon Homme - quebec carnaval.jpg

They had an ice sculpture area with designs like this on show

11 Jan Quebec Horse on Merry Go Round in Ice.jpg

Then there are the snow sculpture competition - these are from the Province contest
    11 Jan Quebec foot behind the water, too - province competition.jpg
    There is a fully formed foot behind the water as well !

2. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some more pictures from the snow sculpture event

11 Jan Quebec Cool SNow Sculpture - Province COmpetition.jpg

and
    11 Jan Quebec Love the groom runing away - province competition.jpg

3. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    But the really good stuff is the International Competition where the teams come from around the world to compete. That happened the weekend after I was there, so I missed it, but there are there starting points waiting for them to arrive. The messy stuff on the top was the flurries they had overnight

11 Jan Quebec Waiting for INtl Snow Sculpture Competition.jpg

4. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you go - bring layers, lots of very warm layers. You are likely be outside for hours at the time, and most importantly (I messed up here) bring waterproof boots. You are walking on/in snow all day long and it can make your shoes damp after awhile.