Quebec City - what to do/see/eat?

Discussion in 'Other North America/non U.S.' started by Sweet Willie, Sep 23, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy and Newscience like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unlike the rest of Quebec (or even Canada), Quebec City might impress you as a well-oiled tourist fleecing machine. The old city is very pretty, well preserved, and full of history dating back to 1608 (the birth of French America). It's probably worth a good day of sightseeing in a solid crowd of generic non-Canadian tourists. If you want something more peaceful afterwards, drive 20 min north for spectacular scenery.

Place Royale (birth place of Canada)
    Place Royale.jpg
    Tourist Street
    QC1.jpg
    Quiet neighborhood with boutique hotels
    QC2.jpg
    Montmorency (~10 min outside the old city). There was a defensive fortress there, destroyed by the English.
    Chute-Montmorency.jpg
    Jacques-Cartier National Park
    Jacque-Cartier.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    uggboy, Sweet Willie and Newscience like this.
  3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    The old city is a UNESCO world heritage site. It's divided into two sections, Upper Town (Haute Ville) and Lower Town (Basse Ville) Do wander around and enjoy it. There are pleasant churches and museums and lots of nooks and crannies to explore. Loads of shops if that's your thing.

You will find plenty of restaurants, though of varying quality and price points. It's been too long since I was last there (5 or 6 years) to give reliable recommendations, but I can say that last time I was there the Clarendon Hotel had a nice restaurant (try the venison steak) and a jazz bar. You can find everything from very fine dining to poutine in Quebec. It really depends on your taste and desired price point.

The boardwalk makes for pleasant strolling with views over the lower town and the St Lawrence River. Visit the Citadel, the old military fort. Random bit of trivia: the Governor General of Canada has a residence in the Citadel in addition to the official residence in Ottawa.

If it's nice weather, the Plains of Abraham is a pleasant park. For a day trip if desired you can visit Ile d'Orleans, which is a vast island nearby. Lovely rural place with farms and a few pretty villages. Also, the autumn leaves should be very nice over the next few weeks.

Watch the weather carefully, as Quebec can get snow quite early.

Enjoy your trip, and come back and tell us about it!

uggboy, MX and Sweet Willie like this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I've read that train &/or bus service is good between Montreal & Quebec City, we are going to be driving. Route 138 “le Chemin du Roy” - “The Kings Highway” looks interesting.

www.lecheminduroy.com/en/
    -

MX and YULtide like this.
  5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a lovely and scenic route for a leisurely drive. I've done both 40 and 20 many times, but never 138.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking at a map, it would appear that 132 hugs the river much more than 138 but I have no idea of the topography in the area, so maybe 138 would be a better route to take if looking for scenic. We have some time, so I think we'll at least take either 138 or 132 in one direction.

YULtide likes this.
  7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect 138 would be the better choice for scenery.