QFF Changes [May 2011]

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by Leumas, May 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Leumas
    Original Member

Leumas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chimpy likes this.
  2. Leumas
    Original Member

Leumas Silver Member

Status Points:
    My initial thought is:

Pfffttt...

History has told us, while one hand gives, another will take. For my personal travel patterns, it doesn't really excite me. It's just trying to push you to buy the more expensive fares, which may or may not be a good thing. At the same time, it's giving you even more points that you may have trouble spending...

More details to come, I guess... Currently, judgement is reserved.

Chimpy likes this.
  3. brinkers
    Original Member

brinkers Gold Member

Status Points:
    As someone with gold status, the changes look generally good. Gold seems to stay the sweet spot.

Pretty much killed of any thoughts of making a run at platinum though.....

Bundy Bear likes this.
  4. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read that
    These changes are certainly not going to help people that do not travel quite so often and get a lot of their points from card spends.

5. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I breezed over the changes but to me it seems that they are aiming to please the really frequent flyer which does kind of make sense as that is who is giving them loyalty.

I was looking to make a Jetstar booking on the weekend but held off. When I was on the Jetstar site today I noted that the fares seemed to have come down in price and now offer Qantas points and SC. This was for a flight from Vietnam to Darwin.

savydog likes this.
  6. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still waiting for the "fine print". If 1.9% of the frequent flyers are platinum, then platinum one is likely to be their top 0.5%? Maybe their benefit will be confirmed upgrades, making it harder for others in the lottery!

Chimpy likes this.
  7. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
  8. Where I think the News is Generally good. WP feel that they have missed out on all of the love :-(

Which is understandable but I knew the changes would be tailored towards those 'somewhat' frequent flyers who travel 5-10 times a year rather then the hardcore SC chasers.

9. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    This WP has missed out on the love for sure. If you earn the majority of your status via domestic Y flights, what incentive is there now to strive to retain/attain WP?

Doesn't make any sense to me. A token raise to 125% points would have made sense. 25% bonus points and a J lounge isn't really enough to keep me earning WP year after year (even the odd F Lounge trip doesn't make up for it).

DJ revamps Velocity. Wipes QF's nose in it. WP's who earn 1200-3000 SC's a year move en-masse. QF crawls back begging forgiveness and offering more benefits for 'everyday WP's'. I can see it now (if Sir Dick plays his cards right).

Chimpy likes this.
  10. Do we only fly for the points or the enjoyment ?

11. Pinkmoose
    Original Member

Pinkmoose Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't seem that interesting.
    As a FF who can only travel for pleasure (not flying for work anymore), it doesn't really affect me that much. The jet* flights with SCs anf FF points are good, but with all the taxes, fees and other charges, they work out the same price as a standard Qantas flight anyway.
    I think it is a good deal for Gold and the new Platinum One groups, but nothing really for Silver.

Chimpy likes this.
  12. thewinchester
    Original Member

thewinchester Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not just WP's who've missed out on the love - QF have actively taken away the love for less frequent, but loyal customers of the airline.

Somewhat buried in the detail is the changes to the loyalty bonus. Previously, every time someone earned another 450 lifetime SC, the member received a 5k points bonus.

This bonus has gone up to 8k, but the calculation has now changed. Firstly, it's no longer based on lifetime earning - but the SC earnings within a member's qualifying year.

The bonus is now granted for every 500 SC earned within the members qualifying year, and awarded up to a maximum of four times each year. In order to even reach these bonuses now, you have to reach PS qualification and double it, just to hit the loyalty bonus mark.

Further, any unused SC's do not roll over to the next qualifying year. So if you only earned 200 SC in one year and didn't reach the 500 SC mark, those SC's are effectivly lost for earning the loyalty bonus.

It's a little counter-intuitive, specially in the context of the status bonuses received at PS, SG and WP as you're already being awareded for flying at those levels. It also takes away a real carrot for members who don't get to fly as much as they would, but preference QF when they do.

Chimpy likes this.
  13. Basically the changes are a smoke screen due to the DJ/VA rebranding (and push to become a proper airline) announcement.

I'm still on-track to leave the QF programme sometime next year.

Chimpy likes this.
  14. Leumas
    Original Member

Leumas Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be able to keep WP this year, and most likely next year. After that, who knows, I may even give up this flying game and find a new hobby like taking drugs or hiring hookers...

Seriously, I don't quite understand what QF are trying achieve with the changes with the Loyalty Bonus. I'm thinking P1 is a half-way compromise for LTP... Once you get LTP, there's little motivation to fly QF (similar for me, I've LTG and motivation to fly QF is decreasing and droping fast each enhancement comes out). With P1, now, there's a super high level for you to aspire to...

Chimpy likes this.
  15. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I would have thought everyone would be overall happy with the changes. I see time and time again people complaining of lack of love as a WP and maybe with this new P1 you`ll get the love or will it just be a replacement of the lost love of a previous WP member putting a WP member back to getting no love at all?

Everyone loves to earn more especially on Jetstar ;) so that`s not bad. Plus the extra cabin and status bonuses have been a long time coming but again is positive.

The upgrade system at the moment sucks and needs to be changed to confirmed upgrades. I hate their non confirmed upgrade system. I have no idea why they haven`t done this already unless it is yield management based but even then surely it`s not that hard to implement.

What am I miss here? Did anyone expect something bigger and better?

16. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    A little from column A, a little from column B.

I'm one of the weird people who actually enjoy travel as well as the destination. It'll always ultimately be about the destination, but the journey is also important.

If you don't feel loved during the journey, when you're doing it a lot, surely that's a bad thing? A loyalty program is meant to work two ways. You encourage loyalty with recognition and rewards. They get your cash, you feel loved and spend more with them. That's how it's meant to work at least. Just seems QF now loves PS and SG a lot more than it loves the 1200-2300SC a year WP's (and perhaps even up to the new WP 1).

Chimpy likes this.
  17. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually as a Silver I think I have finally gotten the message from Qantas that they don't want me hanging around, that I am more of a nuisance than anything else. I finally took time to read the changes in full and work out how they would effect me. The thing that annoys me the most is making the loyalty bonus an annual thing. It is only the elite fliers that will ever hit the 500 SC in a year. The Jetstar thing, yes I want to earn SC and points when I fly with them, however for the $200 they were offering on the Sydney - Honolulu flight I am probably taking that money and buying points from AMEX and getting better value.

I do agree that the most frequent of flyers are the ones that should be looked after, however it should also be remembered that I might be nothing today and PO next year if my fortunes change.

Anyway I decided to vote with my feet and booked my next 2 domestic flights with Virgin. I'm already a Silver with Velocity and have no expectation of anything from that camp either. However, I have found that flying with Virgin I have generally encountered a better attitude. Not saying I won't be flying Qantas again, however for the time being Virgin will be getting my love.

Chimpy and Leumas like this.
  18. Leumas
    Original Member

Leumas Silver Member

Status Points:
    There! You got it in one! They're only interested in Frequent Premium Flyers. They aren't keen on people flying discount Y, even if it's a weekly journey.

That's fine - that's their decision. It's up to us, the customers, to decide whether we want to play this game.

Toula likes this.
  19. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I disagree. They're only interested in mid-level flyers. Look what they didn't do for Platinum? Gold is now so close to Platinum in benefits, that it's not anywhere near worth flying twice as much to get Platinum.

In future, barring some actual real genuine enhancement (by the dictionary definition) I'll have to seriously re-consider if I should bother with Platinum (until I get LTG that is).

Chimpy likes this.
  20. Leumas
    Original Member

Leumas Silver Member

Status Points:
    ... because they want you to be P1.

21. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    there's a big gap between the two. They've also said it will be a 'select group' that will get it.

It'll be interesting to see what the minimum QF SC earn will be for WP1 (as has been stated, there will be one).

Toula and Chimpy like this.