QF metal awards now available on AA.com

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by JonNYC, Jun 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dunno how no one noticed (including me!) but there they is.

ceieoc, kyunbit, LETTERBOY and 5 others like this.
  2. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just found some Jetstar thrown in there, no C or F anywhere to be found though.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Must have been very recently, I've checked the last few days when someone asked about going to MEL.

Nice to see, wonder what this means for the ease of grabbing QF premium cabin space though.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Comparing QF on EF and AA.com, there is F availability on EF that I don't see on AA.com. Can't find any TPAC premium awards as of yet, and if you're paying for an EF membership that is something of a good thing. I don't mind if people can book the awards easier, I just don't want people booking many of them speculatively, then canceling, since those award seats won't go back into available inventory for the rest of us.

5. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Freaking awesome! I don't think they have "loaded" the C or F availability yet.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't think so, I can find it, not to say there isn't some bugginess going on since this is new:

Screen Shot 2012-06-29 at 5.24.18 PM.png

geclub1, sobore and wrxmom like this.
  7. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wish they would have loaded this a few days ago - now to see about changing my HA flights to QF...

8. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was able to find Biz availablity on the LAX - SYD route. Tried SIN - SYD and there is good avail. for Biz and FC. Nice addition to the program.

kyunbit and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW that 62.5 for Business going DFW-SYD is a bargain as when my husband redeemed Qantas points on the same route earlier this year it was 112k.

mowogo likes this.
  10. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glory be, AA! Thanks! To your company and your "mate!"

LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I found it available also, but biz, not first, and only going way out to May like David did, Couldn't find F Milesaaver at all, but didn't check all 330 days.

Found it odd that it listed the two QF 8s as a connection, one DFW - BNE and the other BNE - SYD. I thought it was just the same plane that added a BNE stop going west to take on fuel because of headwinds.

The aa.com system is a little buggy tonight in that other days in may it showed Biz available for 62.5 K but when I checked "continue" it brought up coach only at 37.5. That's not unique to Qantas -- I've had bugs over the years with AA flights doing the same.

David, did you happen to click on "flight details" for the QF 8 DFW - BNE leg in biz and see that the meal is "beverage service?" Jeeze. Maybe they knocked out the meal because Dallas - Brisbane is such a short hop and they didn't want to stress the cabin crew? Ha! (Or maybe it was weight restrictions? Or a bug?!)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  12. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but what's the bugginess in that result?

13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Understand that premium cabin awards from the US to Australia are some of the toughest award tickets to get.

Search for routes like SIN-SYD/MEL, NRT-SYD/MEL which will have more availability than TPAC if you want to see what is loaded.

(Of course, to get to Asia from the US would be a separate award... :( )

JonNYC likes this.
  14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No bugginess. At the time it was just my way of saying that I hadn't played with the QF searching long enough to see if there was anything odd. Hours later I still don't see anything weird.

15. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is key; personally I have not a shred of doubt that this will make it much tougher to get US-OZ premium awards-- for the reasons stated above; its far, far easier for non-"dedicated" and or "trip of a lifetime" folks to now grab them. I don't even think it can be overstated-- IMHO it will be much tougher now.

But, since it was pretty darn tough to begin with (although like many I've done it quite a few times myself by letting availability pick the date of my trip!) for those willing to pony up the extra miles and connect in a 3rd zone, I'd say it will be quite a bit easier now to construct those. For me, that's a pretty big consolation, but big YMMV on that one, needless to say.

16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Depending on what the beverage is (a nice champagne for example) I think many FFers wouldn't mind at all. ;)

17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agree, though in the end I'm not too worried about it. OZ is great to visit and I really enjoyed QF when I've flown them, but I don't find myself needing that award space too often. QF premium cabin space going from pretty tough to really *#@^ tough isn't great, but I'm more curious to see when CX gets added to AA.com and how big a dent that will put in my ability to secure what has been, IMHO, some of the nicest and easiest premium cabin awards to secure.

LETTERBOY and JonNYC like this.
  18. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, personally, I want more. If I put out 62.5 K one-way, sure I want the nice champagne. But they should at least give me a cold half monte cristo sandwich alongside.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  19. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maya is definitely doing some good work to get AA.com as one of the leading sites for being able to book awards.

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd say that's quite a stretch at this point. They're playing catch-up in a big way. Having a couple partners is a great first step, but it will be a while before I'd say it is reasonably to call aa.com a leading site for award bookings.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  21. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I am foggy on some of the details, I remember a cousin who works in customer service at AS telling me how much longer it took to implement a new automated, cooperative feature between AA and AS than it had taken AS with another airline just before that. My cousin's implication was that dealing with AA was sort of like dealing with an 800-pound bureaucratic gorilla.

Don't remember the exact case, but I think it probably would have been getting the AS and AA systems to recognize recipricol FF numbers for purposes of priority seating, checkin and the like, and I think this well may have been under previous AA IT management. When my cousin told me this, I was interested but also stopped to think that AA is so huge (yes, at least 800 pounds!) and its AAdvantage membership rolls so long and so complex that I really couldn't blame AA for wanting to get it right before launching.

So, applying this to the situation at hand, what would have happened if the company was too quick to launch, for example, online booking with QF and it had ended up to be a buggy boondoggle? How would we be reacting to that? While not a UA flyer, I have noticed all the uproar about how that company messed up its system "enhancements" with the merger, and we AA customers certainly wouldn't want that either.

Yes, it seemed like we had to wait a long time for HA, BA - and now QF - online award bookings through aa.com, but I am sure these were complicated jobs.

LETTERBOY and iolaire like this.
  22. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
  23. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Why wouldn't they be? Plus redemption is open now or soon for those dates, so even if changes happen you could still redeem theoretically if space is available. ;)

JonNYC and LETTERBOY like this.
  24. ThunderStorm

ThunderStorm Active Member

Status Points:
    There was tons of Award space this past week. I booked LAX-SYD in First on the A380, yep, you read that right, for the middle of February no less. :p

:)

25. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Will be nice and warm then. Enjoy!