QF 7 & 8 SYD-DFW-(BNE stop)-SYD starting May 2011

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Phineas, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    QF 7 & 8 evidently replace the SYD-SFO route; I'm putting this on AA as I'm using AA award miles; its a great option out of DFW for those of us not on the west coast, there is a ton of award availability right now for AA redemptions.

Since i'll be taking this route in the summer with the family and don't see a thread on this new/upcoming route. I thought I'd start a thread on it

First, I'm EXP, family has zero status..while they are not the Kettles they do not have status either.

Questions I have are as follows:

QF F will not be available but can I sit in those seats till the retro fit is complete?
    Do I need status to do this?
    When will the new J seats be put on this route?
    Is 4A/K the best seat in the F section?
    With the stop at BNE on the westbound flight? where do you clear customs?
    Do you de-plane at BNE?
    why would QF try to charge me $160AU to sit in an exit row in J (upper deck); I don't want it but was looking and thats what the QF site said

monster likes this.
  2. aabrock
    Original Member

aabrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked two seats for late November in J; the EXP desk put me into seats 2J,K without me even asking.

I am also interested in your questions about customs and what the de-planing situation is for BNE, as I have not seen a firm answer on this. But it would sound like a complete nightmare to process everyone through customs here...I guess best hope would be they keep everyone locked in the plane for a simple re-fueling before finishing to SYD.

3. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will try to deal with these few - 4A/K are excellent. However, they are all good seats.
    Assuming QF8 operates the same way as all the Aust int-domestic transfers, yes you will deplane, but you will not clear customs in BNE. You will remain airside at the BNE int terminal, probably re-clear security, but board the same plane and cross the border in SYD.

There is no charge for exit rows in J. Only for Y.

4. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    In theory, yes and yes.

No definitive answer yet, but keep an eye on the 747-400ERs (only six or seven of them in the QF fleet) for that. You may find the QF board has more info.
    I love me some 1AK, regardless of airline. Bear in mind that 4AK are bassinets and you may be moved for a baby.

I may be wrong, but I don't think it's been announced. My best guess would be clearing customs in BNE, because otherwise domestic BNE-SYD pax would have to be processed through the international arrivals area.

It's an ancillary fee. Sad face :( Edit: just realised you said J. No fees for J seat allocation, if memory serves.

monster and TheBeerHunter like this.
  5. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    This happens regularly, for domestic legs of international flights; eg JQ3 (MEL-SYD-HNL), QF81 (SYD-ADL-SIN)

It is actually quite painless; just front up with a photo id, you get a sticker that exempts you from clearing customs at the destination.

I don't know of any Australian int-dom flight number that requires clearing customs at the transit port.

kiwi and ThatJohn like this.
  6. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh cool, good to know!

7. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the answers everyone

I do hope that bluesky is correct as this would be the most painless way to get a 744 planeful of pax back on board quickly

moving right along to other stuff discussed above:

regarding the 4A/K issue, its become a moot point right now as they are not available on either of my flights at least according to AA and when I load my QF PNR to check again it seems to support this as well
    Should I be able to change my seat on QF if I have my QF PNR and go to the QF site. I didn't want to risk my F seat but I tried playing for a brief second and I couldn't move my seat. Now I didn't want to push it so I didn't go anyfurther. Additonally I noticed I couldn't move my AA domestic legs either on QF. I did play with those some more knowing full well I could move them on AA.com if I had too.

also, just an FYI, the taxes on this award for those interested was $124 US

8. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought DFW starts in May 2011 not April. Or is it March I'm thinking of?

Yes
    Yes
    Unsure
    Yes
    Customs clears at SYD. All domestic legs of an international flight in Australia (there are lots of these flights only a few of which are with Qantas) clear immigration & customs at destination.
    Yes, and will need to clear security so don't bother with liquid duty free at DFW.
    Some people pay to sit in exit row, so money for jam for QF.
    No problem - domestic passengers get a "D" sticker on their boarding pass.

monster and magic111 like this.
  9. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Inaugural service May 16,
    So how does one get an inaccurate thread title corrected on MP? [​IMG]

kiwi likes this.
  10. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same as on FT. Click report.

magic111 and gemac like this.
  11. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - for some reason was looking for an icon. [​IMG]

12. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm the Icon here. [​IMG] Just click on the "like" button on my posts to report somebody else's posts.

13. monster
    Original Member

monster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to the OP for starting this thread and asking these questions (and for all the responses). My wife and I are travelling DFW-BNE in December, and I was just able to snag seats 4E&F.

We are travelling immediately onward to SYD and HBA, and that brings up another question. Is it relatively straightforward to transfer to the domestic terminal at BNE? The web site suggests that the easiest way is to take the train for $5. Also, we've got 3 hours to clear immigratrion and customs and make the transfer - will that be sufficient time?

14. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've only done domestic there or departing international, but can't imagine customs would be much of a problem. The domestic and international terminals are at opposite ends of the field there so you can't walk between them. The train stations are right across the street from the terminals and accessed via an elevated walkway.

Take a look at the arriving flights page for the airport and you'll see the volume of passengers coming in there is not too great (nothing like Sydney).
    http://bne.com.au/flight-info-bookings/search-arrival-departure-times

I wonder if the train might be included if your itinerary is on one ticket. Hopefully one of our Australian members will pop in and clarify that.

15. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    To me, all customs and immigration in Australia is a pain in the ass unless you hold an AU or NZ passport. The long lines for dirty foreigners are only slightly less appalling than at US airports or LHR, but have the added bonus delay of biosecurity checks.

16. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Qantas passengers can transfer for free between BNE international and domestic terminals by bus (was by train in the past).

3 hours is plenty of time unless you are very unlucky and on separate tickets.

bluesky, tom911 and monster like this.
  17. monster
    Original Member

monster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I was looking at the BNE airport site which doesn't mention this. It didn't occur to me to check the Qantas site.

18. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with kiwi.

You might wait 10-15 min for the bus, then only 5 minutes to the dom terminal.

19. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the way, should this thread be moved to QF?

20. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    I put it here due to the following reasons

1. its a new route and it provides additional award opportunities for AA flyers (a ton in Y; quite a bit in J.. although no where as near as much as a month ago)

2. my questions were AA EXP related as to where I can sit on this aircraft

3. with the flight into DFW an AA hub it makes it that much easier to connect too for us AA'ers

so no I didn't think for my questions that it belongs in QF. Now if other questions arise, that just falls under stuff happens

21. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    us Aussies cop biosecurity as well (try bringing back wood carvings from Asia) and imho Aus is much simpler procedure than Kiwiland -- but both countries have a lot of flora and fauna to protect