QF 32 - Great Crew, Great Plane + Dirty Seat

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by Coathanger, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Coathanger
    Original Member

Coathanger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was on QF32 (SIN-SYD) yesterday and was pretty excited to be flying on the A380 again after a great experience outbound on QF31 (SYD-SIN) a couple of weeks ago.

The cabin crew on both legs were warm and friendly and the A380 is just a fabulous aircraft even in economy with AVOD and large IFE screens.

Food was pretty good on both legs with a solid main meal but a slightly disappointing second service offering of a small bread roll.

However, the big difference between the flights (aside from the "re-timing" of QF32 from 9:30AM to 10AM) was the cleanliness of the cabin. Outbound the aircraft was spotless but on the return leg my seat not only had crumbs (over which the cleaning crew plopped the blanket and pillow) but the IFE controller had a bonus mushroom on it!

Not the best experience and something you would not expect on the Qantas flagship so I've written in and let them know.

TrueBlueFlyer and kiwi like this.
  2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not good, obviously. And QF does need to know when the cleaners don't do the job properly.

But ultimately, there are some limits to what QF (or any airline) can do in this situation. QF32 is not a SIN-SYD flight. It's LHR-SIN-SYD, and the scheduled 90 minutes on the ground at SIN probably doesn't really allow for a thorough clean of every part of the cabin in the same way as it would be cleaned between flights. If I'm looking at the correct flight, there might have been added pressure from the fact that the aircraft was 45 minutes late arriving at SIN. Sometimes, things do get missed.

I'd be more upset, I think, if my seat area hadn't been cleaned properly ex-LHR.

Phobia likes this.
  3. Coathanger
    Original Member

Coathanger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that's the flight I was on but they re-timed the flight to 10AM and then eventually 10:35AM so they should have had the time to do a basic clean.

But as you've said, with the cleaning crew in a rush and my seat being in the last section of the Y cabin it was a rush job.

4. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a shame when you look forward to a flight to have a negative experience. Perhaps next time the cleaners won't be as rushed, if that was the issue.

5. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a good experience, is it? I would be disappointed too.

When you get on the plane, it's always nice to try to maintain the illusion that it's your personal seat, so you don't have to wonder which smelly, leaky, messy person had it last - and finding their mushroom on your controller just shatters that illusion!

Still, it's been rarer (for me) to find dirty seats on QF than on most other carriers - notably BA and IB.

ThatJohn and Chimpy like this.
  6. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Worst I have seen was on a recent TT (Tiger Singapore) flight from HKT-SIN where the seat covers looked ancient and there was literally an inch of crumbs in the seat pocket....[​IMG]

bluesky likes this.
  7. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    I 'liked' that not because I approve - but because I sympathise.

My worst was a Vueling flight where the seat pocket was only attached to the seat by one of the four screws - making it completely useless for storing things in. Except for the banana skin that was left there. Urgh.

8. brinkers
    Original Member

brinkers Gold Member

Status Points:
    How thorough is a normal transit clean though? I have always imagined it to be a pick up rubbish, vacuum the floors and tidy up a bit. Not sure how often you get bits of food stuck to the remote control.

ThatJohn and Globaliser like this.
  9. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Princess Fiona Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had this on A330 SYD-PER in J, some toe nail clippings ( gross !!) and an empty nibbles packet in the side arm rest.
    I pointed it out to the CSM who apologised and said they would report it, like everything these days standards are slipping :(

10. I am wondering how long they target to turn that aircraft at SYD. Its a big plane for 90 minutes. An unclean aircraft makes you wonder what else they may have missed. Its good you wrote them to correct or improve.

11. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, quite. Of all the spots on the plane that I'd think to put on a cleaning crew's checklist, "mushroom on remote control" doesn't rate highly, but then I'm quite a fun guy. (Fungi, geddit? :rolleyes:)

bluesky and Princess Fiona like this.
  12. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Judging by what they were planning to do at various points during the post-OQA disruption, my impression is that QF plans for this to take at least 3-4 hours.

13. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its a shame that when I flew QF31 SYD-SIN-LHR and wanted to save a little bottle of wine for later, it was confiscated from my seat back... but you were left with a complimentary mushroom on your TV controller.

MissBurrill likes this.
  14. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Security regulations at SIN, I believe. Either that, or the cleaners were actually tidying up.

Why couldn't you just get another bottle of wine on the SIN-LHR sector? They are complimentary, after all!

15. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh I did! I just wanted to bring the un-opened one as a tiny gift to my Frenchy's.

16. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    As they say, there's always plenty more fish in the sea. ;)

Whoops, sorry, I thought for a moment that I was posting on the BA board.

17. willyroo
    Original Member

willyroo Active Member

Status Points:
    If you fly a lot this is going to happen. Last time - I walked up to the crew at the galley, asked for some cleaning wipes - and go the hoped for answer "is there a problem with your seat?" and we gave it a clean over.

Life is too short... :)

18. straitman
    Original Member

straitman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree but it is nice surprise when things come out way above those expectations. [​IMG]

19. Dirty aeroplanes, buses and Eurostar seem to be rather rife. Most of my BA flights are a bit messy with crumbs, my last Eurostar was dirty with all sorts, and I wouldn't even like to think what the mess on the buses were. Now you report dirty QF aircraft.

Why can't transport companies keep those things clean any more?
    Or are we, or more precisely some passengers, making more mess?

Maybe we should start calling ourselves SCF (self-cleaning freight) too... well at least I usually try to remove crumbs from my seat if I drop any onto it, although I do not go as far to pick up breadcrumbs off the floor (but if I drop anything like a large piece of mushroom, I do pick it up and dispose of it).

Globaliser likes this.
  20. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    More mess that they don't clean up, in this selfish, lazy, egocentric world in which we now live in which the fact that "the staff will do it if I don't" instantly absolves one of any duty to do it first.

Look at the amount of litter that people just chuck onto the street, starting (although definitely not ending) with cigarette butts.

Phobia likes this.
  21. Bizi
    Original Member

Bizi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope that in the end you were able to procure a bottle.

Thanks for the review and it will be interesting to see how QF responds to your note about the mess on the seat.
    Did any seatmates have the same issue?

22. Indeed, pretty shocking. Also getting off the aircraft and walking through various cabins (OK, more noticeable when flying long haul whY because you have to walk more distance to get off!) I am appalled at the state of the cabin. It often looks like someone had confetti fights and food fight. I can't even tolerate sitting in a mess for 5 minutes even if I made it myself.

I sometimes feel like a freak when I fold up the plastic blanket bag and make a tidy knot out of it, then take it along on a loo visit to dispose of it in the bin - so many other people seem to just toss it on the floor :eek:

Globaliser likes this.
  23. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. I often wonder why, for example, other passengers find it so difficult to spend 30 seconds folding up the blanket and putting it away in a locker.

Phobia likes this.
  24. I usually don't put them up in the locker since most of my travelling is in CE and there is rarely any space left there, but I always fold it up, and not leave it on the floor or just bunch it up and dump it. Maybe I'm just a tidiness freak (and perhaps so are you based on your posts [​IMG]).

Having said that, airlines should also make some effort to clean up a bit better. So perhaps both passengers and airlines should try. Well it will also help if they stopped serving dried up, crumbly bread too!

Globaliser likes this.
  25. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Far from being a tidiness freak. But that just illustrates how basic this is on an aircraft - yet so many people (in all cabins) just cannot be bothered.
    I seldom have any cause for complaint. The OP's situation was a bit different, precisely because they boarded at a transit point. Before the beginning of a flight, the airlines I usually fly usually manage to do it properly.

Phobia likes this.