Qatar Airways availability on British Airways Site

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Mikus33, Jul 29, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to book a flight in late September to South Africa and am searching segment by segment. When searching ORD-DOH, the BA website shows only 1 J seat available (QR722):

upload_2015-7-29_13-5-54.png

When searching DFW-DOH, the BA website shows up to 4 J seats available on the ORD-DOH QR722 leg.

upload_2015-7-29_13-8-8.png

I called AA to find out what they see (as I want to book with AA miles), and they only see the 1 J seat available on QR722. Has anyone seen anything like this before? It makes me a little nervous to be spending time using the BA site to find the flights I want only to later find out that they're not actually there.

uggboy and MX like this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    First of all BA.com has been fairly screwed up for years. It has always had problems with LAN inventory, it cannot find awards on some AA city pairs and every so often (perhaps twice per year) it cannot even see any AA awards.
    The recent problem with AA awards which went on for what 2-3 weeks is supposedly fixed.
    The BA rep on FT posted on the BA board over there that the "problem was on the AA side" which was complete and utter BS (but the usual cheerleading crowd there just ate it up:rolleyes:)

Ghost inventory does show up on all airlines.. occasionally.
    Perhaps you are running into a " married segment" problem.
    Did you ask AA to check segment by segment as you said you did on BA.com?

Not sure if you are aware or want to go that route but QR also flies to DOH from MIA

uggboy likes this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rookie mistake ;) Never trust BA's website for availability if they show a connection. Always check segment by segment.

eponymous_coward and uggboy like this.
  4. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I had read that the BA problem had been fixed (or 'fixed', maybe). I've had good luck with using them to search in the past for the flights I was looking for (mostly AA and QR), so I was surprised to see the strange search I came up with in the OP.

Yes, I did ask AA to search search segment by segment, as I was really just wanting the ORD-DOH segment (hoping there'd be more than one seat in J), and was searching to see if QR DFW-DOH segment was open. QR flies ORD-DOH, DFW-DOH, IAD-DOH, PHL-DOH, JFK-DOH, and MIA-DOH. I was checking through all of those for my search.

Eventually I found a date and route that worked, and put it on hold with AA a couple nights ago. We'll see if I stick with it (and if they really still have it on hold for me when I call back).

5. jpersonette11

jpersonette11 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hey Mikus33,

What did you book for your return? Where do you leave from in Africa and where do you fly back thru? Is the return Qatar also?

Ironically we leave in less than 2 weeks for SA and a couple other places there.
    We unfortunately will be back way in the states way before you leave.

But at the last minute, I'm actually looking to extend the trip by 3.5 days. And need to make something work!
    So let me know what you did if you would.
    In essence, I've been doing exactly the same stuff you are right now with daily ba.com searches, etc. .
    Glad you got a route though...and I'm sure it was still there when you called back.
    Let me know.

PS. And if you want, Either pm me or send me your email and what your itinerary looks like when you are there. We would certainly pass along any tips or ideas we experience/learn/ or find from our trip once we get back. We are still nailing things done (last minute planning of course) but are getting closer and MUST BOOK everything by the end of the weekend. We are actually leaving one coffee shop now to head to a later one...just to keep momentum going. Ahhhh, the joys of traveling last minute.

Talk soon...jp

6. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    @jpersonette11 My bad, I didn't see this until just now... I've been seriously slacking on MilePoint. The trip was incredible, and was QR in J both ways. My routing was MCI-PHL-DOH-JNB-CPT and JNB-DOH-PHL-MCI. I bought a cash ticket to get from CPT-JNB in the middle of my trip. Originally, I was booked in Y from DOH-JNB on the outward bound flight. I figured I had enough AA miles (and was concerned about an impending devaluation), I really wanted to sleep on the flight over, and I really love the Al Mourjan business class lounge in DOH. I had an 18 hr layover in DOH on purpose as I lived there for about 2 years and wanted to take the opportunity to visit some friends. I had been checking the DOH-JNB J availability all week, but nothing had opened up by the time I left. Luckily, when I arrived in DOH, I checked DOH-JNB availability again, and 2 J seats opened up. I immediately called, and they moved my Y seat up to J. At that point all jet lag wore off as the excitement of getting to fly the new (to me) business class on the QR 787 got the adrenaline pumping. I spent a few hours in the lounge finalizing my plans for South Africa as I hadn't done much planning up until that point (I only had flights in and out of the country with about a week prior to leaving). I booked a Great White Shark cage diving experience, and came up with a few things to check out in Cape Town. I was in Cape Town from 9/20 to 9/25 and then took a 2 day safari in Pilanesberg National Park near (2 hrs from) Johannesburg (yeah that was booked about 1.5 weeks out from when we arrived too - who says you have to plan ahead when going on Safari?). It was a quick trip, but I loved every minute of it. It was just my brother and I so we stayed in a hostel (Atlantic Point Backpackers) while in Cape Town. The highlights of what we did while in Cape Town are: Robben Island, the penguins at Boulders Beach, Cape Point, great white shark diving near Gansbaai, the penguins at Stony Point (wasn't even aware there was another colony of penguins besides the ones at Boulders Beach prior to arriving in SA), the Waterfront (fairly boring except for what I think was called The African Depot or something like that - great store for African souvenirs), Greenmarket Square (the best place for souvenirs), and Table Mountain.

I'd love to hear about what all you did while there. Feel free to respond here or PM me.