QANTAS

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Lissy M, Feb 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Lissy M

Lissy M New Member

Status Points:
    Interested to hear from non-Australians about their thoughts on travelling with Qantas... The airline is in strife...

Sammich likes this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. :)

Sammich likes this.
  3. Lissy M

Lissy M New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, MSY Girl :)

Sammich likes this.
  4. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I need to read up on this. I have an Aussie Facebook Friend who posted a meme, "Share if you want Qantas to stay in Australia!"

Sammich and Lissy M like this.
  5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the stories I read today placed part of the blame on Virgin Australia, particularly that they're allowed foreign investors while Qantas is not allowed that because of Australian legislation. Qantas indicated they'd like to have that legislation modified.

I have 6 Qantas flights coming up in May and June and I expect them to go out as scheduled.

I wouldn't be surprised if Qantas becomes a predominantly domestic carrier in years to come. Didn't they align with one of the Middle East carriers and codeshare with them now?

I also read today that the average Qantas salary is $92,000. That seems a little on the high side for me if it is just salary. You're going to need a lot of profit to pay salaries like that.

6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    92,000 AUD = $82,248 US Still, not bad for an average salary.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    Sammich, gregm and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good salary, but for what? Senior pilot? FA? Ground crew?

Sammich likes this.
  8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Certainly a good salary for flight attendants, gate agents and ramp workers. You don't see $US90,000 salaries for those positions in the U.S. The article I read said it's an average salary so I'm guessing it included all positions from top to bottom, so some making less and some more.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...qantas-cuts-20140227-33mhu.html#ixzz2ub3b01Ku

Sammich and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having not flown with QF before, my first experience with them will be HKG - SYD on an A380. Not sure of this is considered as one of the higher load routes for QF. So hopefully no cancellations.

I have noticed a significantly lower fare with Virgin when I looked up domestic fares for Australia the past few days, with Virgin operating smaller aircraft's like ERJ and ATR.

It seems that both carriers are losing money as Virgin Australia did announce a loss of 84 million today.

10. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    will be flying Qantas on a business trip SIN-Brisbane, still all systems go...for this leg, Etihad, Emirates offered far lower fares as i was researching fares for my family, so booked Etihad for my family to join me for a leisure trip after my business trip is over...so i believe Qantas also faces stiff competition from other airlines...