Qantas to lock in business class upgrades sooner with SMS alerts

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by sobore, Jul 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-frequent-flyer-upgrades-gold-platinum-one

Qantas is working on an overhaul of its frequent flyer upgrades scheme, with benefits from the lowliest bronze member through to the stratospheric sphere of the Platinum One VIP level.

New technology to be introduced later this year will see Qantas Frequent Flyer members of any status level sent an SMS alert well before their flight advising that their upgrade has come through, rather than when they arrive at the airport to check in for their flight.

“At the moment you might be confirmed for an upgrade but unless you go online before the flight, you might not know until you get to the airport” says Stephanie Tully, Head of Airline Loyalty for Qantas.

2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't understand the fanfare about the upgrade notification and I certainly wouldn't describe it as locking in business class upgrades sooner. AFAIK, they're just notifying people of their upgrades more efficiently by using a new channel. The upgrades are being confirmed at the same time and under the same rules as before.

4. AndrewW

AndrewW Silver Member

Status Points:
    Give us confirmed upgrades when we apply, crazy that you can apply 3 months out and only find out at check in if you've been successful or not.

Mal and Chimpy like this.
  5. Mal
    Original Member

Mal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Qantas Spin: "But consumers like getting to the airport and being told that they have received an upgrade".

Toula likes this.
  6. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes they don't seem to really comprehend that knowing what class you are travelling is part of the planning process. I tend to think the Qantas motto is treat 'em mean and keep 'em keen.

7. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mind you, I prefer the current system to one in which I apply 3 months out, and have it immediately confirmed that there is no upgrade for me.