Qantas the Worst FF Program : Taking Points Away !

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by csuryadarma, Feb 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. csuryadarma

csuryadarma Active Member

Status Points:
    Please be careful with Qantas FF. They just took away 240,000 points I have accumulated for years and they could not prove to me that they sent me email. I had appealed many times but they don't care.
    This is the Worst Airline in the world!

Please be careful and CAN NOT TRUST them ! Use your points immediately. Don't accumulate it by flying with them with a hope one day you can travel free with your family.

I will never fly with Qantas again in my life ! The Worst Airline in the World.

2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did your points expire or were they applied to an award ticket you didn't cancel? It seems odd for an airline to simply take away points, so I suspect there is more to the story.

Welcome to MP.

3. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the assumption that your points expired, which is what your rant sounds like:-

1. Most frequent flyer schemes have points expiry rules, and will take points away if you don't have an active relationship with them. Some schemes have more draconian rules than Qantas, making points expire after a period of time even if you earn more points in the interim.

2. Qantas makes it perfectly clear when your points will expire. If you log in, the month of your last activity is clearly shown, which makes it very easy to work out when the 18-month period is up.

3. Any activity on your account extends the validity of all the points in your account (unlike in some other schemes). The only way you could get anywhere close to points expiry is by completely ignoring your Qantas FF account (and probably Qantas itself) for a long time. After all, you don't have to fly to earn a small number of Qantas points to keep all of your points alive. If your points have expired, clearly you didn't do this.

4. It would be a courtesy for Qantas to email you (and there are plenty of reports that Qantas does this), but email isn't 100% reliable. It doesn't change the fact that you were, by the time of points expiry, a pretty disconnected customer.

5. If you thought that you could have used your points to travel for free, you clearly haven't found out much about the Qantas FF scheme. In most if not all cases, you would still have had to pay significant amounts of cash to travel on an award ticket.
    You weren't doing any flying with Qantas anyway, so I doubt that this will bother Qantas at all. You're only winding yourself up about something which is your own doing.

4. flynow

flynow Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would suggest a call Qantas back talk to a supervisor and keep trying to work something out !

MSYgirl likes this.
  5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your points expired due to 18 months of program inactivity, and you genuinely had no activity in that period, I think it would be more accurate to say that you absolutely CAN trust Qantas to act in precise accordance with the terms and conditions of their program. In what way do you feel they failed your trust?

Unfortunately, from googling around it appears that the trust you can have in Qantas is pretty damn absolute -- they don't seem to reinstate points that have genuinely expired (unlike some US airlines, which will sell you back the points, or even give you a three month grace period to have account activity).

6. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    And if anyone's interested about where this might have come from, there's been an interesting set of recent letters to the Sydney Morning Herald's "Traveller" section:

7. Nicko

Nicko Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just keep some point activity like the search toolbar and they'll never expire! one search a month is enough

Princess Fiona and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. peternorthistheone

peternorthistheone New Member

Status Points:
    Qantas is on the downhill slide.
    The QFF reward program was bad enough but now with the contraction of its international own metal routes and even more restrictive release of reward seating, there are even fewer seats on offer .
    I think you have got to have rocks in your head if you stick with them.
    It seems that even if seats are released in exchange for points, they are usually on the less popular airlines eg Iberia.
    I'm not saying that other FFPs are much better but there is still value in most in terms of being able to redeem meaningful and timely awards.
    Get rid of your qantas points ASAP and start with someone else.

9. Cove

Cove Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok 18 months with no activity will zero your account at Qantas. Our family have 4 accounts and we transact with Qantas points most months with credit cards.
    As mentioned you can earn their points by using the Qantas tool bar.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  10. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    You make it sound as if QF operates an FFP that is:

[​IMG]mejor en su clase[​IMG]

But, there can be only one.....

11. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    probably good to invest in a tool like awardwallet, many airline or hotel programmes have guidance to varying extents on expiry of points with non-activity.
    if one has several frequent flyer programmes, at least there's a prompt on expiry dates..

12. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like the OP is a one-post wonder. Someone whose one post is a complaint about an airline? That never happens on boards like MP or FT! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

B1BomberVB and Princess Fiona like this.
  13. SYD

SYD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Far from it!

20yrs as QFF and I've earned several million miles and enjoyed many free* flights and benefits as QF Platinum / OWE.

Yes, I'd be annoyed if I lost 200k miles, as I did following the collapse of Ansett (RIP), but it really isn't that hard to keep an account ticking over with hotel stays, car hire, CCs etc...

*are there any truly "free" rewards flights these days?