Qantas, Korean Air Check A380s For Wing Cracks

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MLW20, Feb 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

Are you concerned/ afraid to fly on the Airbus A380 due to wing cracks being found?

Poll closed Mar 9, 2012.
  1. Yes

40.0%
  2. No

60.0%
  3. Haven't thought about it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Qanatas & Korean Air are carrying out inspections earlier than expected on their Airbus A380s after European air safety officials ordered global checks. They worn of safety risk if the problem is not fixed.

Here is an article about this
    http://news.yahoo.com/qantas-korean-air-check-a380s-wing-cracks-042026623.html

I was wondering how MPers felt about the cracks being found on the A380s?
    I created a poll to get member's opinion on this which is open for one month.

autolycus likes this.
  2. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I voted "Yes", but I'm not sure that I'm especially concerned, and definitely not afraid. I would be concerned if the airlines weren't being fairly cautious and proactive in at least doing inspections as soon as these issues were noticed. The only real concern is because Airbus had that whole issue with an entire vertical stabilizer snapping off in flight. I know it's a different plane and we're years removed, but it still raises at least a question about Airbus's material design.
    Either way, with the issues on the A380 and 787, it's pretty clear that all the computer sims in the world can't guarantee a design will be perfect from the get-go. I imagine in a few years, all these kinks will have been worked out and both will be excellent long-lifed planes, but in the meantime, it's disappointing.

MLW20 likes this.
  3. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am glad to see that European safety ordered the checks and that the A380 crack issue is being seriously looked into. Hopefully they will come up with a solution soon and get rid of the problem!
    I'd still love to take a flight on the A380 and 787 at some point and can't say that I am too worried.