QANTAS GROUNDED (Master thread)

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by thewinchester, Oct 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. thewinchester
    Original Member

thewinchester Silver Member

Status Points:
    This information is current as at 31 OCT 2011 0233hrs AEDST

As Qantas is now resuming operations, please review any information presented here carefully.

This page does not constitute official advice, and links are available at the bottom of the page for verifying information, as well as contacts for enquiries and assistance.

Summary
    QF mainline operations globally were grounded effective on 29 OCT 2011 at 1700hrs AEDST/0900hrs GMT as the result of Qantas taking protected industrial action.

As a result of industrial arbitration before Fair Work Australia, all protected industrial action has been terminated.

The airline commenced flying on 31 OCT 2011 at 1530hrs AEDST.

Services should return to normal schedules on or around Wednesday 2 OCT 2011.

Carriers not affected

This grounding specifically excludes:
    • Jetstar (JQ)
    • Services operated for Qantas by either;
      • QantasLink (Flt numbers QF1400 to QF2699) or
      • JetConnect (trans tasman services)
    Stranded?

Information on what to do is below.

If you'd like to talk with fellow Milepointers' stranded by the grounding, need some support and/or reassurance from fellow members, or are willing to offer assistance to those who are in your area, please consult this thread specifically for stranded passengers.

Recovery fares

A number of airlines are offering recovery fares to pax affected by the grounding.

These airlines include (links to web information included where known);
    Rebooking, refunds and reimbursements

Qantas is offering rebooking onto other airlines (to alternate QF flights, or carriers with an interline e-ticket agreement with Qantas), refunds and/or reimbursements within the permitted window.

Full information, terms and conditions, and the online refund claim form can be found at:
    http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/disruptions/global/en#changing-or-refunding-your-booking

What to do?

Proceed to your scheduled flight, unless you have been advised otherwise by the airline or rebooked onto another services.

Passengers currently not in their home port will be provided all the usual support, assistance and accommodation where necessary until they can be accommodated on an available flight.

Staying up to date

Updates and information are available from this thread, as well as:
    Twitter: @qantasairways
    Facebook: facebook.com/qantas
    Online: qantas.com - disruptions and travel alerts
    Telephone: Global Reservations and Customer Service contact numbers

2. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Press release just went live.

zpaul and canucklehead like this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just hit the AP wire in the U.S.

zpaul, canucklehead and jbcarioca like this.
  4. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Qantas = Eastern

zpaul and jbcarioca like this.
  5. thewinchester
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For anyone wishing to follow the news directly from Australia, the Australian Broadcasting Corporations' (ABC) News24 Channel has lifted it's usual geoblock - and is now available to be watched live, online and worldwide.

The channel has rolling coverage about the shutdown, related issues and analysis.

Coverage can be viewed at:
    http://abc.com.au/news/abcnews24/

zpaul, wombat18, canucklehead and 2 others like this.
  6. thewinchester
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well the level of traffic over this grounding has been so extreme, it has caused fellow frequent flyer forum Australian Frequent Flyer to crash.

Been down for at least the last 45min, no sign of return or official comment on their twitter account.

And Currently on ABC News 24, Dick Smith (a keen aviator and former chairman of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority) has even come out and said the unions are "living in cookoo land".

Dick is known for being passionate about aviation, is highly respected by the Australian public, and he knows what you're talking about. He's not exactly the person you want coming out against you.

7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just heard this from a Cabin Crew Member... what Alan Joyce and the Board did was fricking illegal and unbelievable...

8. Mal
    Original Member

Mal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right ... They don't know what they are talking about. Completely legal. The union have been playing a similar game - Qantas just played the same game in a better way.

9. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's definitely going to help VA gain further business over then next couple of days and annoying a lot of flyers.

I wonder if VA will seize the moment and offer status matches again to further secure more flyers allegiance.

All in all grounding of fights is a nasty business so i hope this is resolved sooner rather than later.

10. SASDC8

SASDC8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    WOW! This is really some step to take. I feel sorry for the employees at the airports which have to deal with the stranded passengers, who really got this thrown in their lap today.

Interesting to see what happens after the meeting in court at 10 tonight.

11. thewinchester
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just an update, there is a meeting with the Australian Fair Work Commission (the industrial arbitrator) at 2200 AEDST/1400hrs GMT between the airline and unions.

The meeting is taking place in Melbourne, and will involve the airlines and the industrial representatives of all the relevant unions.

This meeting may move for a suspension of industrial action for 21 days in line with the legislative arrangements within the Fair Work Act. This issuance of this suspension would effectively cancel the grounding, as the decision to do so was taken under the provisions of the same legislation.

This meeting will also give a good idea of how long this will go on for. I'll update this thread further once news out it comes to hand.

zpaul and MissBurrill like this.
  12. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow.... I thought these kinds of things were reserved for Aerolineas....

:eek:

zpaul likes this.
  13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    or even Aer Frunch...

zpaul likes this.
  14. SASDC8

SASDC8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which themselves are about to go on strike... So everything is as normal there ;)

zpaul and LETTERBOY like this.
  15. thewinchester
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Latest I'm hearing is that there are posts on PPRuNe indicating that QF short haul pilots should be ready for duty from 30 OCT 11 at 1200hrs AEDST/0400 GMT. Looking for source material now.

zpaul likes this.
  16. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, after seeming to crash with the influx of us all, AFF is now down for planned maintenance, the mods have taken down FT QF site to clean up some bad mannered comments before it degenerated.

Good thing I have access to 3 sites to get info from other flyers!

Maybe I should just curl up with a good book & glass of something - but watching THIS all unfold is so much more interesting.

The impact & potential ramifications are so huge I think it's going to one of those events in years to come when we can all remember where we were when we heard the news.

zpaul, MissBurrill and jbcarioca like this.
  17. thewinchester
    Original Member

Status Points:
  18. thewinchester
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Air Asia is currently offering rescue fares to QF pax, posted to their FaceBook page recently (and via OzBargain):

19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just had an exchange with a friend who is now relaxing in The Wing in HKG. He was leaving SYD FC on QF, was told they had a mechanical issue, was rebooked on EK F to HKG, thence CX, and nobody ever mentioned an imminent shutdown. I wonder how many F passenger were handled that way? I suppose a fair number. Of course this couple are among AA's highest mileage clients. I suspect that could have helped.

zpaul and MissBurrill like this.
  20. thewinchester
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is generally SOP during a major disruption or grounding (for at least full service carriers), and that's regardless of tier - albeit that your tier will help you be accommodated faster.

The CX rebooking would have been easy as their a OW partner and also have agreements with QF, but they would have pulled some strings to get an authorisation necessary to use EK. I guess those involved knew what was going down, and likely they just used common sense and removed the usual roadblocks.

21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    True enough. The distinctive feature IMO was that they were told only that there was a "mechanical" and knew nothing about the shutdown until I told them a few minutes ago. That seemed fairly uncommon, especially because they'd be booked on a OW carrier rather than EK in any routine situation. They're on a RTW also, so it was not highest-yield F.

zpaul likes this.
  22. thewinchester
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Update: Fair Work hearing is adjourned. Judges have risen to take their decision, but they have stated they will deliver their verdict tonight.

It's nearly 0000hrs AEDST/1600hrs GMT, so this will be going on well after midnight.

23. thewinchester
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would say they did that simply not to raise any alarm, especially amongst high tier pax and if the story was yet to break.

24. thewinchester
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ok, latest from Fair Work hearing is that there won't be a decision until tomorrow morning.

This is due to further evidence needing to be called, and allow parties time to prepare any questions for cross examination before further deliberations and handing down a decision.

It's currently 0035 AEDST/1635 GMT, and it's likely they'll be nothing new on this until at least 0830 AEDST/0030 GMT.

Time for me to log off and call it a night.

25. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for providing all the updates. You deserve the sleep.

zpaul likes this.