Qantas Club can no longer access Galleries BA Lounges

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by Princess Fiona, Oct 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Princess Fiona Silver Member

Status Points:
    It has been confirmed ( posts on FT and AFF quoting emails from QF ) by Qantas that Qantas club membership only gives access to BA Executive Club and Terraces Lounges plus the Galleries lounge at LHR T3 if flying to AU on QF/BA. ie. no access to LHR T5 Lounges ( or indeed any lounges apart from Galleries in T3 and Jersey, Newcastle and Manchester which are Terraces lounges) at any time by Qantas Club Members.
    What do people think of this devaluation of Qantas Club Membership ?

2. thewinchester
    Original Member

thewinchester Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've not seen the posts to which you refer that claim/confirm this.

Right now, the QF website states the following in respect of BA lounge access for QP members:
    To my recollection, I believe this is the same text which has been on the website for at least 18 months.

Read correctly, and as has always been my understanding, you can access the BA Terraces/Executive Club or AA Admirals lounges when you are travelling on a ticket marketed and operated by these carriers.

It's also important to note that QP members have never had access to Galleries lounges.

So, your actual issue is with BA, and the fact they have chosen no longer operate a Terraces or Executive Club lounge at LHR T5 and a number of other ports. This isn't an issue of devaluation of the membership, rather an issue with a service provider to QF and the business strategy of one of their service partners.

This doesn't affect me directly, but I can understand how QP members might be a little annoyed by this. It would be prudent to raise your concerns continually with QF and BA at the same time, to try and have them do something to right the issue in ports where BA operates lounges from which QP members are currently excluded.

3. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whatever the theoretical position might be, this has evidently not been the case until recently.

So from the point of view of a Qantas Club member, this is a change.

4. Coathanger
    Original Member

Coathanger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a little more than a little annoyed by this.

One of the major advantages of QF over DJ/VA is their paid lounge membership offers far better global coverage and access to quality lounges outside of Australia.

Now it's a truth universally acknowledged that the AA Admirals Club lounges aren't world beaters...but the BA Galleries lounges in T5 are excellent.

Not impressed with the lack of official communication from QF either.

5. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've just had a phone call from QF ( in response to an email I sent) to advise that senior management are looking into it and in talks with BA. Agent stated that QF weren't aware of any issues with lounge access in T5 as it had always been granted in the past. It was only when members contacted QF and complained that they knew of the problem.
    No timeframe for resolution was given, other than "ASAP"
    Fingers crossed ;)

zpaul and kiwi like this.
  6. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Disappointing. Let us know the resolution!

zpaul likes this.
  7. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Have just tweeted them awaiting reply

zpaul likes this.
  8. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Guess they were a bit busy with that little grounding episode to reply ;)

zpaul likes this.
  9. This really s#cks as I used to use BA lounges almost all the time when I used to fly, and I am a Qantas Club Life member, now they are reducing this service. I was just told off yesterday by BA staff at Galleries lounge at terminal 5, all 3 off them (south, north and the one in middle terminal 5 near B gates) currently in terminal 5 there are no Terraces and Executive Club lounges , as mentioned by the earlier member, so I think its really unfair rules set by BA, where Qantas clearly states as long as its a code share flight between QF/BA/ or AA then we have access to the lounges, there are multiple code share flights flying out of terminal 5 and the only access is at terminal 3??? Heh??

Really how many Qantas club users are there for BA to go bankrupt by using the galleries lounges?? I am truly disappointed by this move by BA. Hopefully Qantas will fix this otherwise I feel like they took the users for a ride...

This way they can just rename their lounges and state this is not part of the original service level agreement!!

10. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Worth remembering that QF has to pay BA for lounge visits by Qantas Club members.

And that's why it's currently impossible to know whether this problem has been initiated by BA, by QF, or by a combination.

Princess Fiona likes this.
  11. pablodelmar

pablodelmar Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi Fiona

Did you ever hear back from Qantas? I am really upset about this as I specifically bought a qantas club card to use the BA lounges at T5 as I changed job (with less flights) and lost my silver status with BA!! I bought it for a four year period and am only two years in! Returning from a Bangkok T3 before Xmas flying onwards to Edinburgh we were turned away but used the lounge at the Edinburgh on the way back to London. Madness! Will move to other carriers now to get cheaper business class seats if this is not reversed quickly. I feel really ripped off!!

12. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was covered over on AFF pretty extensively. Qantas Club gave access to Terraces Lounges. The T5 lounges are Galleries lounges. It's a technicality, but it has been confirmed as a QP member you won't get access to T5 lounges (T3 Galleries lounge is an exception for long haul flights).