Qantas Business Class Seat Advantage SYD-PER

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by infoworks, Apr 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    This won’t go down well in the big end of town, but Virgin Who? is going to have middle seats in its first two A330-200s in business class when it launches that product on the Sydney-Perth route on May 26.
    This will also stir things up at Qantas. Earlier this year Qantas announced it would remove middle seats from business class on its Perth services A330-200s fearing that the new-Virgin Blue replacement-brand-to-be-revealed product would shame it with a no middle seat configuration.
    As of this morning, this is the situation.
    Starting May 26, Virgin Name to be Unannounced will fly an A330-200 on the Perth-Sydney route with 27 seats in business class and 251 seats in economy, compared to a Qantas version of the same plane that so far as has been publicly announced, will have either 36 seats in business class and 261 in economy, or a more spaced out version which features 36 business class sleeper seats and 199 seats in economy.
    The tactical advantage appears to have gone back to Qantas for who those who command business class seating, since if it uses the second version of the A330-200 with the smaller economy cabin the premium priced business class seats get similar stretch out room as the Virgin Who? product but NO middle seats.

Quoted from a bigger article here:
    http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetal...logs+(Crikey+Blogs)&utm_content=Google+Reader

savydog and Chimpy like this.
  2. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering at the launch of their J product, the media said it would be '6 abreast', I'm not sure where this comes from. DJ have of course refused to comment on their seating configuration for 'competitive reasons' but i'd be very surprised if it was 7 abreast (2-3-2) after QF have said its removing it's 2-3-2 seating from the 2 A330's it's had delivered (and is putting 747's on SYD-PER to compete).

I rate Crikey as being below the journalistic 'integrity' of NoNews though...

*edit*
    DJ's press release today makes no reference to seating...
    http://www.virginblue.com.au/AboutUs/Media/NewsandPressReleases/P_015189.htm

And I can't seem to find where Ben got his seat map from on the DJ site, perhaps it's been pulled?

savydog likes this.
  3. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given the seats are exactly the same as when Emirates flew the aircraft (per the pictures), methinks it will be 2x3x2 unless they are somehow chopping the seats.

savydog likes this.
  4. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wasn't that debunked somewhere? I seem to recall someone mentioning that they were not the Emirates seats, just similar.

I was shown the seat map last night, and it is on the DJ site, just very hidden away (Don't have the URL, although the person showed me on the DJ site), so i'll retract my previous comments about not being able to find it on their site. I still believe they'd be silly to leave it in, but i'm no airline management person (And the seat pitch is vast compared to QF's J).

savydog likes this.
  5. Mal
    Original Member

Mal Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.virginblue.com.au/Personal/Services/Seating/AirbusA330/index.htm

savydog and drewbles like this.
  6. brinkers
    Original Member

brinkers Gold Member

Status Points:
    The increased pitch on DJ may make it more palatable. The problem with the QF scheme is that it looked squishy. I would think that if J pax hated the middle seat, then to make it work DJ would need to take them out and squeeze another row in.

savydog likes this.
  7. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    savydog likes this.
  8. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Think proved by Seatmap, but "Spot the Difference" in the photos below.

[​IMG]
    Virgin New Seat -- Source: The Age (from DJ pres)

[​IMG]
    Emirates Cabin Shot. Source airliners.net
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/Emirates/Airbus-A330-243/1714698/M/

savydog likes this.