Qantas availability @ 330 days?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by spaced2, Mar 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone! I feel like i shouldn't have to answer this question, but my searches have been inconclusive.

I was under the impression that Qantas availability opened up 330 days ahead of departure. I found availability on the QF site and called up AA, but the agent said she couldn't see anything for next February at all. Do i have the days wrong, or is this an instance where i should call back and ask another rep?

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually I believe QF flights are loaded 350 or 355 days out.
    AAs system can only see flights 331 days out. Note however that there is some additional inventory available to QF members which AA will not see (or book)
    Suggest you check BA.com that usually matches the AA inventory (with the 331 day restriction, of course)

gleff and kiwi like this.
  3. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    i did the call back thing, and it worked. i got a business seat on the a380. nothing in F for the month of feb :( i'm going to have to route through asia for another 40k miles to fly in F on the way back.

gleff likes this.
  4. sk3

sk3 Active Member

Status Points:
    I've actually been using BA.com daily to search for LAX-MAD-FCO biz milesavers (on IB) since AA has stopped offering any biz milesavers for their JFK-FCO flights - and BA.com definitely shows inventory 355 days out. (I've yet to sign up for QF so I can start using their search engine to look for AA-partner award availibility but I'm sure hoping their site is better than the slooooowwwww BA.com one).

The main issue with the discrepancy of AA's and BA's calendar (as I see it) is that BA FFs have a 24 day head start to nab seats... and if QF's calendar is also loaded out to 355 days then that makes even more of an uneven playing field, so to speak.

5. latrobe
    Original Member

latrobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    The problem is as has been said that QFF members can book awards before AA can even see them.It is not that there are extra awards just for QFF members but that QFF plats(OWE) can ask for extra award seats being made available.
    The Transpac route is still QFs most profitable and most premium seats can be sold.Also just consider that a very high percentage of Aussies purchasing AONEx or DONEx fares are going to use one of these QF transpac flights.So it is unlikely,though not impossible,for extra award seats to open up.
    On the other hand I(as an AA plat) have been able to get a J award on QF BKK-SYD through AA after my wife(QF plat)could not-even ringing QF.
    Then there is the reverse.I have had no problems getting an F Aaward on AA NRT-LAX last year and JFK-NRT this year.On both occasions there was daily milesaver awards for 2 people.Yet prior to trying AA we had rung QF who could not see any availability of J or F awards on those AA sectors for the month we wanted.

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Much good advice in this thread!

1. BA/QF/CX loads their schedules ~ 355 days out. Their members can book flights beginning that early.

2. Interestingly, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan partners with these three programs. Alaska doesn't load its own flight schedules until 331 days out but they can book award seats on QF/CX/BA 355 days out, no problem. In fact, you can book a partner award 355 days out and then call back later to add in Alaska segments once the Alaska schedule loads and they won't charge you to make the change!

3. But American will not book partner awards until 331 days out when their own schedules load. This means that QF/CX/BA members have a head start in booking those award seats which are loaded when the schedle initially comes online.

4. Of course there'll likely be more seats later. Airlines constantly evaluate loads and flights whcih are selling more lightly than expected will see more award seats being loaded as time goes on.

5. Australia is the toughest frequent flyer award there is IMHO. (Except that V Australia has great availability in business class, good use of Delta miles.)

6. February is high season. If you got business class seats, you done good!!

7. The new Dallas flight has had better inventory than the LAX flights. With American miles you can also fly LAX-PPT-AKL on TN and connect to SYD on QF. Or LAX-NAN-SYD on FJ.

8. American will not allow an Asia routing on an all-partner award. But they will allow you to do it of course on a distance-based oneworld award.

9. American agents notoriously don't always see partner award inventory that's out there, you need them to search segment-by-segment and often to hang up, call back. Very frequently an issue with CX and especially when looking at destinations beyond HKG like DPS.

Sounds like you've already done good, but thought it was worth memorializing some of the advice already here in the thread. :)

7. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've logged into my QFF account and can availablity for Business in late February. There does seem to be economy available most days and the occasional PE. However as it is late Feb makes sense that the 331 day rule means American would not be seeing it.

8. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    i done good! thanks gary for the detailed overview / everyone else for the discussion. i've been learning a lot thanks to all y'all.

Also, for the record, i'm glad that QF lets you search without having a balance. damn you ANA(1)

(1) i'm aware there are workarounds, but still...comeon!

9. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just want to reiterate that hang up and call back is indeed an excellent strategy:
    Today i called to reserve my return from Australia. Aware that QF had no premium availability back to the states, I made the decision to fly first from SYD or MEL to JFK via HKG on QF / CX. It will cost me an additional 30-40k miles, but what the hey - i get to have half a day in Hong Kong and try both products.

I checked QF availability and CX availability - everything showed OK. Called into AA, and the agent looked up QF and said "sir, there is no first class on the Qantas aircraft flying to Hong Kong - only business" to which i responded "...you're saying there's no first class on their 747-400?" he confirmed. He was wrong. rather than press him to make the change, i reserved business MEL - HKG, and got First on CX to JFK.

Hung Up.

Called back.

Agent 2: "oh yeah there's definitely first available."

::facepalm::
    2 out of 2 booking attempts rescued by hanging up and calling back.