Q2 2013 Hilton Promo

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by luv2travel, Mar 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    lrluis, NewGamePlus, NYCUA1K and 4 others like this.
  2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    At a half cent per point (or less) is there any reason to get excited?

<lol>

DTWBOB

mo26, luv2travel and viguera like this.
  3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks just registered.

mo26 likes this.
  4. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess that depends if award stays count. 1,000/2,000 points per night is better than 2x if you have an a lot of award stays coming up in Q2 2013.

The T&C's seem to say no, but they also say ineligible stays don't earn MyWay, but I'm pretty sure Award nights do earn MyWay..
    T&C's

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good question. Let's do the math using a realistic scenario and find out.

First, the general equation to be used and modified for one's own situation.

Let $X be the spend that is eligible for HH points.
    The number of base points (B) will be $X * 10.
    Let 'm' be the number of weekend nights and 'n' the number of weekday nights.

Data based on my personal options as a HH Diamond and circumstance:
    1) 50% bonus on base points = 0.5B
    2) points+points double dipping = 0.5B
    3) I will pay the folio with the AMEX Surpass, which pays 12 HH/$, and is 1.2 times of B = 1.2B
    4) 1000 points for "MYWAY PREFERENCES BONUS"
    5) 500 points for AMEX Booking Bonus

Stay Total = B + 0.5B + 0.5B + 1.2B + 2000*m + 1000*n + 1000 + 500
    = B * (1 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 1.2) + 2000*m + 1000*n + 1000 + 500

Stay Total = 3.2 * B + 2000*m + 1000*n + 1000 + 500

Real life scenario:
    I have two paid stays booked that will happen during the promo period: Hilton SLC (6 days) and Hilton SAN Gaslamp Quarter (7 days). Mean eligible spend or ($X) = $1,614 (not counting incidentals)

So,
    B = 1,614 * 10 = 16140 HH points.
    m = number of weekend nights = 2 (mean)
    n = number of weekday nights = 4

Stay Total (average) = (3.2 * 16140) + (2 * 2000) + (4 * 1000) + 1000 + 500 = 61,148 HH points

The short of it is that from my two stays during the promo period, I will accumulate at least:

122,296 HH points.

My math says that I have at least 122,296 reasons to be very excited about this deal as it will bring my total haul by the end of Q2 to ~422K HH points, but...

....I just compute, you decide.;)

mht_flyer and NewGamePlus like this.
  6. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    So how much of this horde of points came from this promo?

I'm excluding the points that you do from doing other thing from my calc.

what I'm looking for is n +x

where x is the number of points the promo gets you -- and it's kinda like a decaying exponential that goes away

DTWBOB

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    16,000 of 122k points or about 13%, which I would not have gotten since the stays were going to happen regardless...100% of 0.0 is zero ;)

Sent from my DROID4 using milepoint

8. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't see a link to a list of non-participating hotels. Did anyone else see one?

mo26 and NYCUA1K like this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    After one registers, a link to the FAQs appears and the reason non-participating hotels are not listed is that there is apparently none:

Philphactor likes this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This always appears in promo FAQs and the answer seems to be for a question that was not asked.
    What would be nice would be a clearer answer to the right question, which is: Does one get 1000 points for weekdays and 2000 points for weekend nights off of a Reward Stay during the promo period, in addition to the points on incidentals?
    However, based on past experience, the answer to the right question is "yes", which would add 2 * 2000 points to my total of promo-only points because I have a booked reward stay at Hilton Shanghai that has two weekend nights within the promo period. Total haul from the promo: 20,000 HH points.

11. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Who's Hilton?

I had a card in my wallet with their name on it next to a picture of a balloon. Then I was notified by 30 blogs that they lost my business due to restructuring. ;)

12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    My points for the first of two stays during HHonors' Q2 promo have just posted:

HH-Q2.png

Due to bad weather, I had to cut my stay short by a day (instead of checking in on 04/20, I checked in a day later -- i.e., one weekend night or 2000 points less), which explains the discrepancy with my earlier estimate of ~61K points. Still a pretty good haul. :)

Encircled are the two HHonors promos that are currently in effect. What is interesting about the UA miles promo (blue) is that I am triple-dipping, i.e., I got miles even though my double-dipping preference is set for points+points...(well, I really double-dipped +1/2 because I did not get any points from the UA promo; just miles).

mo26 likes this.
  13. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Four night AXON stay at Hilton Bentley South Beach (Miami, FL; USA):

5000 Q2 bonus points (Sunday - Thursday) plus base points and Gold bonus on incidentals.

5000 + 1893 + 473.

Just posted.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using milepoint

14. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would add I got 7k for 4 nights on an award in Iceland as well. AND I got 1000 QF miles for reasons which are mostly a mystery.

15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The points for the second of my two paid stays during HHonors' Q2 promo have just posted:

Hilton-SD-Gaslamp.png

A great haul, by any measure! Encircled in red is the HHonors Q2 promo bonus, which is responsible for 10K or 14% of the total. The total folio, including taxes, came out to $1,987, so that each of 70,883 HH points cost me 2.8 cents. For some perspective, a typical CC bonus offer is 50,000 points after a minimum spend of $3,000, meaning that one would be purchasing each HH point for 6.0 cents...

...unless the payments for the stays are incorporated into the minimum spend requirement, in which case churning can really pay off...

Let's do the math:
    Suppose I had applied for a CC that would award 50K points after a $3K spend in 3 months. I would have met the minimum requirement after just the last two stays that I have reported here, which happened within 1 month and cost me $1.7K+$1.9K or $3.6K. For doing this seamless integration of the minimum spend requirement with the hotel spend that I would have done anyway, I would have gotten 50,000K HH points on top of ~60K HH from the first stay and ~71K HH from the second (this post), for a total haul of ~181K HH (compared to the already respectable 131K HH w/o churning). What would the cost of each point be under this scenario in which churning is integrated into already planned spend? I would have spent $3.6K in one month and gotten back 181K HH points, paying just 1.8 cents per point or 55% less than without churning. For added perspective, each HH point now costs 1 cent if purchased directly from Hilton. This means that I would have paid 1.8 times more with churning, 2.8 times more without churning and 6 times more with churning that was not incorporated into my already planned stays at Hilton properties. All of which reinforces the concept that churning can be beneficial, painless and not obsessive if each churn can be carefully planned and "targeted" by incorporating it in already planned spend. Ideally, one would incorporate a churn into the spend of a CC that awards miles or points associated with one's frequent-guest or frequent-flyer program so that the points or miles are additive with those derived from that program, as in the presented HHonors scenario.

The preceding has essentially been my approach to "churning", but carried out more on intuition than after careful planning. With the preceding, I think that I have just convinced myself to approach such "targeted" churning more formally, by considering my upcoming travels and devising a "churn" or two that would maximize the points or miles that I would derive. The key is finding an appropriate CC and already having directly related expenses that would allow one to meet the minimum spend requirement...without even thinking about it. That is a smart approach to "churning".;)

P.S. Note that churning would just still supplement points to my steadier and larger source of HH points, which are actual paid stays at Hilton properties as a top-tier elite, who has CCs that greatly add points on top of those derived from each paid stay. That is, I get cards for their utilitarian, long-term value within the loyalty program, so that there is no need for me to get rid of them...although this may become necessary if I am to implement the proposed approach. I have a couple of cards that could be traded in for newer models so that there should be no problem...:cool: