Q: Which Carrier for premium economy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by paperloaf, Oct 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I’m heading to Australia on business in November and not really sure who to fly. Has anyone got any recommendations? I won’t be flying business as my company stopped doing that! But I should be ok to get a premium economy or equivalent. Should I go with Qantas as they’re the Aussie airline, or is someone else a better bet?

rwoman and cennas like this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've flown in the Qantas premium economy seat and think you'd like that. It has a small footrest and more legroom and less seats per row. Compare that to the UA economy plus product where your seat would get a few more inches in front of you and nothing more. Here's a photo of the Qantas seat:

[​IMG]

Who do you have your miles with, though? Virgin Australia and Delta also fly from LAX, though I'm not up on their seating. Hopefully someone will be along that's familiar with those products.

3. Santander

Santander Silver Member

Status Points:
    NZ has a quality PE product which is quite well-liked, too. You'll have to connect in AKL but it's another option, especially if you're a *A type of guy.

rwoman likes this.
  4. I've flown the Qantas PE product on the A380, and it compares very favorably to the BA and VS products. On QF, PE get's J's meal service, which is an added benefit.

rwoman likes this.
  5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Double post? I recall answering this one on the other thread... I would go with NZ's Y+!

rwoman likes this.
  6. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done both the Qantas and VAustralia Premium Economy and would take VAustralia any day. The main differences for me is staff on VAustralia are much more proactive with less attitude plus their IFE is far superior to Qantas offerings.

YULtide and rwoman like this.
  7. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP paperloaf!

I've never flown NZ's but I've done QF's. It felt much more to Business class than Economy, a very nice product overall.

lwkatya and rwoman like this.
  8. Yeah - I posted here first then decided I probably posted in the wrong section! Thanks for your help

9. Thanks for your welcome! From the feelers I've put out there, people tend to agree with what you've said about QF - though I'm interested in what Toula said about the staff, which depending on the day can make a real difference

rwoman likes this.
  10. I had a quick check online about the differences in IFE, what were the major differences you found? Also, are the Qantas staff rude, or just lazy/do the minimum?

rwoman likes this.
  11. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find with Qantas normally the staff have the I don't give a toss attitude whereas the VAustralia staff seem to be a tad younger and a bit more eager. Last Qantas PE flight I did from SFO-SYD in Jan, the staff were appalling. Didn't serve our section drinks had to ask why everyone else around us got one but us and the two rows behind got nothing. After food service was done they disappeared never to be seen again until next meal was up.

VAustralia, I find that they will go down the aisle with water throughout the flight. You don't feel like you are being a burden when you ask for something. They actually seem like they want to be there.

With regards to IFE, it has to do with content. To this day I don't think I can comprehend who on earth selects Qantas content. I normally struggle to find anything worth watching on any flight. VAustralia seems to have a wider variety of content.

YULtide likes this.
  12. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I've been lucky and admittedly my experience is limited but I found the service from QF crew to be generally fine. Certainly not as good as Asian carriers but no complaints for me.

lwkatya likes this.
  13. travelinmike33
    Original Member

travelinmike33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's pretty shocking. I've had good experiences in Y on my two Qantas flights, though keep in mind most of my flying is on US legacies. That being said, my Australia-based colleagues are none-too-fond of QF, and I've heard nothing but good things about VAustralia.

14. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just curious, if one is *G in Oneworld, does this get you access to PE on Qantas or is PE something one has to spend more miles for?

15. lrluis

lrluis Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where are you flying from? Ive flown to Oz for business many times this year on qantas, united, V australia, and Air NZ. I would highly recommend the last two. If i were to pick one, it would be Air NZ since its part of *A, and offer a better selection of movies in my opinion, which is key on a 14 hour flight!

United Usually comes out the cheapest and if you have status, you can reserve premium+ at the time of booking.

Toula likes this.
  16. Santander

Santander Silver Member

Status Points:
    Careful... OP might book this and think E+ is Premium Economy! :eek:

17. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    One World uses jewel colors instead of metals for elite classes. Ruby is the lowest (like "Silver" in most programs, although AA calls it "Gold"). Then Sapphire ("Gold" on Qantas), then Emerald ("Platinum" on Qantas).

A general list of benefits at each level can be found here:
    http://www.oneworld.com/ow/ffp/oneworld-status

However, the chart says that with respect to preferential seating, it is "In accordance with the individual policy of the oneworld member airline operating the flight."

Checking with Qantas (http://www.oneworld.com/ow/ffp/oneworld-status/qantas) for privileges Ruby class gets, it says
    This, by the way, is the same thing it says for Sapphire and for Emerald. Such would seem to indicate that you can ask, and the request may be filled if space is available.

However, I'm not a Qantas flyer, so that assessment may not be correct since it appears they charge for PE as a separate class, as contrasted to a "preferred seat" in Economy class (like E+ on United and Preferred or Preferred Plus seats on American). If you price it out, the PE seems to cost nearly twice what regular Economy does; I doubt they give that away for free, so probably more miles for a PE award. Don't know if you can upgrade with miles.

travelinmike33 and Sweet Willie like this.
  18. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
  19. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Premium Economy on Qantas is as Counsellor says something you have to pay for. I know if I try and book an award flight on the Qantas site they want 48k for economy, 72k for premium economy and 96k for business class. If you don't buy the seat your chances of being upgraded would be extremely slim I would imagine.

YULtide and cennas like this.