Q: Room Upgrade As Ambassador at IC

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by SQ LPP, May 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Question for the expert and experienced Ambassador MPer.
    A friend, who has an Ambassador status, stays at IC Bali. He got upgraded to Club Room. But, no Club Room benefits. Is it normal? When I stayed at IC Toronto and San Francisco and got upgraded to Club Room, I received the Club Room benefits. Does IC Bali as a resort have a different policy?
    Cheers.

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The Intercontinental Bali treats the Club rooms as a separate 'hotel within a hotel'. Actually they have three separate categories, the main hotel, the Sinjara wing, and the Club wing. They usually provide upgrades only within a category of rooms, not across. So Ambassadors -- and Royal Ambassadors -- who do not book the club section do not generally get club rooms or club benefits.

The standard upgrade for Ambassadors (and Royal Ambassadors) at the Intercontinental Bali is a Duplex Suite.

Now, in general if you are upgraded to a club room at a hotel you would get club access. The Intercontinental Bali is a bit strange and an exception. If you want club access you need to book a club room there.

3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just experienced a similar situation at IC Madrid. Was upgraded on a sweet dilemma nights redemption to a Club Suite as an ambassador, but wasn't allowed any of the club benefits or other benefits associated with the room. I don't know enough about the Ambassador/RA program, but is that normal? Seems a bit cheap. When I get upgraded on a flight or use miles for a flight, I don't expect less service than is offered to a cash-paid customer.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I seem to recall CX doing op upgrades and providing the service of the lower paid for class of service, at least based on reports a couple of years ago (eg first class seat, business class meal, for business class passenger op-upped to F). But agree, it comes off very badly.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  5. I don't disagree with that but certain properties, like HK and others in China treat club completely separately to the suites. I booked a superior junior suite in HK for later this week and the maximum two tier upgrade offered is to 1 KING EXECUTIVE STE FULL HARBOR VIEW, a 70 sqm suite then club is HK 1100 plus tax for 1 pax per night, circa USD 160 a day for club, the option being not to get the upgrade and get the club, CP in HK the same, Beijing Beichen IC the same, some of the Asian properties separate the club facility out entirely form the room type. Puxi is an exception in Shanghai, they offer club with the suite.

Gary, congratulations, I just noticed your Co-founder status. Well done

6. Falcon View
    Original Member

Falcon View Silver Member

Status Points:
    My experience has been the nicer the club lounge (or the value an individual property places on their club lounge,) the less chance one has of receiving comp. club access. I have received great upgrades in Amman, Tel Aviv, Paris, and Dubai, but still had to pay a premium for club access. (Well worth it, by the way.)

7. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for all the replies. It's very interesting to know that each hotel has different policy. The question remains? Is it consistent? In the case of IC Bali, last year we stayed there, and we got upgraded to Duplex Suite which is consistent with what gleff posted. But this year, the hotel did not put us at the Duplex Suite, even though the hotel was not full.