Q re: First Class Award Ticket and Missed Connection

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by THREEA4ME, Jul 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked a family friend on an award ticket -- STL-ORD-LAX all in first -- and the STL-ORD leg was delayed, causing the friend to miss flight. They rebooked the next day (causing family friend to pay for hotel) and in coach. Should I get refunded the difference in miles since the class of service was different?

Also, in the hey days, airlines used to take care of passengers when flights were delayed due to mechanicals and you were stranded overnight, but no more. Sign of the times I guess.

2. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    You may post which airline and ask mod's to move this to the appropriate airline forum.

For weather you're on your own, but if it's mechanical I believe the airline is responsible for accommodations.

RE your difference in miles. It sounds like your friend did fly first STL-ORD & probably had an option of ORD-LAX earlier in coach or later in first (even if the first seat wasn't offered, it was probably an option, although possibly a less-desirable one).

Your friend may have luck getting something if they paid out of pocket for the hotel & the airline may give you something as a courtesy, but probably don't owe you a mileage refund.

3. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just had a similar issue with American Airlines. We had 3 first class award tickets from Austin to Honolulu. When we got to Austin there was a delay in the incoming flight...which was supposed to take us to Dallas to catch our flight to HNL. All other first class seats were totally sold out....so they said they could fly 2 of us in FC to Los Angeles...and then they bought us FC seats on Delta to get us to HNL. My husband ended up having to sit in coach from Austin to LAX as there were no FC seats.

I sent an email to AA customer service almost a month ago asking them if he would get some type of credit back for the Austin to LAX coach flight...since we used miles to pay FC to Hawaii....

No response at all to the email. Not sure if they would do anything or not. I could understand if they say no...just at least take a moment to respond to us!

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should ask your friend whether the airline attempted to find a FC seat. If he was offered FC on a different flight or a connection but rejected it, you would have less claim to a refund of some miles.

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    It sounds like you got F for 2/3 on the shorter domestic segment, and F for 3/3 on the much more important over-water segment. You still got there the same day. And AA had to shell out for tickets on DL at the last minute.

I'm not saying you aren't entitled to some compensation, but it also sounds like AA made a real effort to get you to your destination in the class you booked. If you still enjoyed your trip, it might not be worth complaining to AA.

6. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I complained because it wasn't that simple in how they handled the issue!

First we checked in at the first class counter. We were given boarding passes and then proceeded to walk to security. I happened to look up at the monitor only to see that our flight was now scheduled for an hour later...hence missing our connection. I looked down at the boarding passes I was just given and sure enough it stated that the flight wouldn't be boarding till 11:50am.... the time we were supposed to arrive in Austin. The rep at the counter did not even notice or make us aware that we were going to miss our connection!!!

I tried to go back up to the counter but there were many people in line. I noticed that there was an earlier flight so we rushed through security to the counter for an earlier flight only to be told that flight was totally sold out in FC and coach and there were no seats. They had even asked people to give up their seats because it was over-sold!

The rep said she was trying to get us to Hawaii on another airline since all American flights were sold out. The tickets she came up with were on Delta but had us sitting in LAX for HOURS! 3 to be exact. She said it was the only thing she could do.

I wasn't too happy but what could I do? We had driven up to Austin and spent the night at a hotel so we couldn't wait for the next day to fly out without incurring more expense. I happened to have my laptop with me and decided to do some research on my own. I do not have wireless so I had to purchase it at the airport in order to access the internet...

And sure enough...there was a much earlier Delta flight with open FC seats. So back up to the counter I went and had them switch me to the earlier Delta flight which had an hour connection instead of the 3 we were booked on.

We finally got there to Hawaii 4 hours later than planned....not to mention all our luggage being lost. Nobody knew where it was. It finally showed up late that night and was delivered to our room at midnight Hawaii time.

I am glad we got there, but I was honestly disappointed that the rep at the counter didn't make us aware we would miss our connection or that our flight was delayed. He had that info on his screen. Even the nice rep who helped us at the counter past security didn't understand why we were not informed. And if I had not checked myself on my laptop we would have sat in LAX for 3 additional hours waiting for a flight.

Whether they do anything or not doesn't matter. I just wish they would have responded to my email in some way, shape or form. A month has gone by.....