Q: Prepaid Cards and Billing Addresses

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Explore, May 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Supposedly you can earn "5x anywhere" by using credit cards to pay for prepaid or reloadable cards at the right merchants. But what about registering for conferences or other online purchases where they want a billing address? These are non-recurring purchases, mind you. I just got turned down for one such purchase using a Visa prepaid debit card, on the grounds I didn't have a billing address for that card.

Any workarounds? Or are these 1x purchases no matter what?

P.S. Maybe I can use my Bluebird funded by debit prepaids to pay for these expenditures, but Amex isn't always honored. And I can use my BB to pay off my credit card bills, so I'm not really gaining anything by using it to pay merchants and conference organizers.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

You should be able to register prepaid and reloadable Visa/Mastercard/Amex cards to put a billing address on file for just this purpose. Often the URL to register is on the back of the card. YMMV, but I'd start there.
  3. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

As you say both Bluebird and the American Express for Target reloadable cards DO have your billing address associated with them. If you need a prepaid VISA I presume you could use the AccountNow card that FM has written about.