Q on Cancelling Awards at the Last Minute

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Explore, Apr 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I'm flying from WAS to SFO. Revenue fares are above my threshold so I'm traveling on saver awards. With no nonstops available in my time bracket, I book speculative partial, then complete connecting itineraries which I can cancel for free as a 1K.

I'm looking for a late evening nonstop (UA operates two of them). Saver award space seems likely to come up on one or both nonstops by 3 hours before flight time. It appears for one flight only about 3.5 hours ahead, the other flight being sold out. But that's too late to avoid a no-show on my placeholder connecting itinerary. I'm not yet at the airport. To make sure I retain the miles, I cancel the original itinerary an hour before, and the miles are redeposited. Then I make a new reservation for the nonstop when it comes up, just 30 minutes later.

The question is, was that last step necessary? Or could I have just failed to appear for the original itinerary, and per the flat tire rule applied that award reservation to the nonstop I actually flew? What if the flights had been operated by US?

Thanks....

2. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that UA award tickets can be cancelled & refunded even after departure / even if you no-show. I have never done this, but I have a friend who has done this. (He wasn't able to get united.com to cancel the trip, gave upon it, then he called a month later to try to sort it out & they cancelled and refunded it no problem.)

3. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you can refund mileage on UA even if you no show, unless things have changed in the last couple of weeks.

4. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not exactly sure of the chronology of the events that you describe based on how you drafted your question, but in my experience, if you no show for an award ticket on UA, the miles will be redeposited in your account if you call and request a redeposit. The redeposit will not automatically occur. The flat tire rule has nothing to do with it, nor does the fact that some flights are operated by US.

Are you looking for saver F or saver Y?

Wandering Aramean likes this.