Q: Can I change a routing on award ticket given by a friend?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by SQ LPP, May 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know I can call UA directly, but I am confident I will get the answer to my question here at MP faster and pretty much rigt on the dot.
    I was given a one way award from a good friend to fly UA SFO-NRT using her MP miles. Now I see an availability for SFO-SIN for that day. Do you think I can change the routing without troubling my friend to redo the award? Can I just call UA reservation, and I will pay the additional taxes or fees directly? Or do I have to ask my friend to redo the whole thing, in which case I really don't want to bother her since she is abroad this week?
    Thanks for your advice.
    Cheers,
    :)

2. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, I think your friend has to get involved here. The way I'm used to changing awards is to book the new award and cancel the old. Seems like that's the way agents like to do it

3. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd at least call and ask - couldn't hurt. Worst case they say your friend needs to do it.

My father has made modifications to rewards I've given him - but on CO and not changing the city pairs.

4. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the replies. I asked friends from TOB, the answers given were the same. Yes, I did call UA reservation. In order to change the city pair, the miles holder should make the call, not the pax. In my case, my friend needs to make the call. She has to redeposit the miles, and issue a new award ticket with the new city pair..