Q: Best Career for miles?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by alohastephen, Jan 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    So now that I am completely hooked on miles/points, can someone tell me the best career for earning miles?

I am a teacher with more vacation time than the average career person for leisure travel.

Just wondering what all the milepoint members do when they aren't viewing this site?

2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Historically there is just one — as a courier. Many years ago Continental thought of honoring their top mileage frequent flyers with a small party/gathering, etc. Turns out when they identified them, 7 of the top 10 mileage earners were couriers so they decided to not host the party since couriers by classification aren't loyalists as much as they are merely vehicles for moving specific types of communication and correspondence.

Keep in mind there are several types of couriers, professionals who move correspondence and all their expenses are paid for and then public couriers who are really a way to save a few dollars when traveling by giving up your luggage and carryon for others packages, etc. And a fair warning, if i recall many "courier" companies are fairly flighty so you really need to check them out before getting involved. However i do know some professional couriers in the Foreign Services branch of government who seem to do quite well with miles and building a stupendous retirement package all by just flying.

And of course there is one that i do not know enough about but have wondered ... being an air marshall?

alohastephen and sobore like this.
  3. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    IDK, Randy..
    "being an air marshall?"
    Do they really collect FF miles?

alohastephen likes this.
  4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    it's an answer i don't know. i assume that the DOHS pays the airlines for the seats they take?

doc and alohastephen like this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that FAMs do not travel on a ticket but rather, the government just tells the airline that they will need certain seats on particular flights. This is partly why the carriers are not happy that FAMs tend to travel in FC. It would hurt less if the carrier were being paid for those premium seats, although booting good customs from such seats still would not be good.

Therefore no FF miles are earned by on duty FAMs. I suspect they must be able to earn points on hotel rooms when their schedules involve overnight trips.

doc, alohastephen and sobore like this.
  6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always thought the FAM's traveled on non-mile earning government fares. :confused: Maybe not?

7. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! A reply from "the man" himself. It is a good day.
    ;)

Courier huh? Hmmm...........:cool:

doc likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK all government fares do earn FF miles. I know all of my HCA and YCA government fares have been treated as H and Y class revenue fares, even though they are unpublished. My experience has been with US, NW, and DL in using government fares and purely domestic.

For FAM there is no fare and no revenue ticket. Carriers do not get paid anything for FAM flights; the airline is simply required to carry the FAMs in the seats they demand, almost always in premium cabins, and the airline must absorb the loss of revenue and bad will this generates.

9. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder what kind of requirements are necessary to become a professional courier. :)

doc likes this.
  10. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    FAMs don't receive miles, but they can accrue hotel points.

alohastephen likes this.