Q about Seat Assignments

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sunny_sc, Nov 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sunny_sc
    Original Member

sunny_sc Silver Member

Status Points:
    A domestic flight on United that I just booked for December looks to be pretty full. The only seat assignments available online for me (non-status member) are 2 middle seats (in different rows) near the back of the plane.

Should I park myself in those 2 seats for my husband and I? Or should I wait until closer to the departure date to see if I can get assigned seats together? Or will I have a better chance on the day of departure? I'd like to sit with my husband if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Counsellor, rwoman, Jimgotkp and 2 others like this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd select seats now...you don't want to be left without seats the day of the flight and have to be involuntarily denied boarding (unless you're willing to be flexible and could use that extra cash they'd have to pay you for the IDB). Then, use something like expertflyer to set up seat alerts for you.

sunny_sc, rwoman and Jimgotkp like this.
  3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not responsive to the OP's question, but related to the subject in case someone's doing a search:

For folks who aren't sure what seat to select on a flight, check out SeatGuru:

www.seatguru.com

Enter your carrier and flight number, or click on your carrier, then on the plane type, and you'll see the seating configuration. Green seats are generally considered to be great, red to be bad, and yellow to be "interesting". Float the cursor over a seat to find out any unique qualities (like an IFE box under the seat in front of you so you will not have full legroom, or the fact that the seat doesn't recline).

Very useful!

sunny_sc and rwoman like this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    sunny_sc,

Welcome to MP!

:)

sunny_sc likes this.
  5. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    As others said, select seats NOW!

Also, between now & departure check online to see if other, more preferable seats have become available.

Starting at 120 hrs prior to departure, check again as that is the time UA starts issuing auto upgrades to elites. Repeat after the 100hr, 72 hr, 48hr & 24 hr marks.

Those elites that get upgraded leave behind some prime coach seats!

Finally, if all that fails, do speak with the Gate Agent just in case something opens up last minute.

sunny_sc likes this.
  6. sunny_sc
    Original Member

sunny_sc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks very much for the warning about IBD. I didn't think about that!

I have selected seats 37E and 40E for my first leg and similarly awful seats for another leg. I've set reminders to go look at 120 hrs prior to departure and will continue to check back until then. Thanks all for the help! Crossing my fingers for now! :)

7. sunny_sc
    Original Member

sunny_sc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its now 120 hours prior to departure and nothing opened up. :( Do upgrades happen automatically for people (e.g. coach seats magically open up)? Should I keep checking throughout the day, or is the next time at 100 hrs?

8. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those hour marks are what UA states are when each respective elite status' auto-upgrade windows open up.

That said, no airline can be counted on doing anything in a predicatable fashion. ;)

Check back as often as you remember. After all, in addition to the elites getting upgraded leaving better coach seats behind, as flight time draws near, last minute cancellations will also free up some seats.

Good luck