PVG to IND on Delta BE: Change of Flight & Short of 50k Skymiles

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by OceanTrotter3, Sep 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. OceanTrotter3

OceanTrotter3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi guys,

I need some help with getting back to the States in a BE.

The situation is, I have previously redeemed for a RT from IND to PVG with 140k (Saver's Award) in BE. However, now, due to some unexpected circumstance, I need to extend my stay by a few days.

I reached out to the airline, and was told that there are no saver tier tickets with SkyTeam airlines for the entirety of next week to IND (or ORD).

The only option available with the airline is to top up 50k Skymiles for a single weekday redemption. The 50k Skymiles cost $1,700. Or I can always purchase a one-way Economy for possible <USD$1k.

Do you guys have any suggestion on what I should do? Anything helps.

Thanks! :)

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In thinking about your choices, remember that if you purchase the ticket, you'll earn RDMs, MQMs, and MQDs. You won't get any refund of the miles you already spent for the BE RT but you might be able to change it to something in low that you can use later or change and use later. You're allowed a stopover and an open jaw on an award ticket, so would you be interested in doing ICN-DTW-IND, for example, in BE later this year? If you're not PM or DM, each change to an award ticket costs $150 and the 72 hour rule MIGHT apply to changes to your return ticket.

To me, it would probably be worth $700 to sit in BE rather than coach TPAC, but have you looked for TPAC low on other routes, such as exNRT where you would then purchase a cheap PVG-NRT ticket? How about BE low only on PVG-DTW or even PVG-SEA, where you would purchase a domestic ticket back to IND or ORD/MDW.

WilliamQ likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the change in the cost of your award ticket 50,000 miles or do you need 50,000 more miles in your account to make the change? The former sounds like DL is adding the cost of a separate domestic award ticket rather than giving you a medium or high TPAC BE award. Have you explored the possibility of taking coach for your domestic connecting flights if low is available?

Have you looked for CZ or MU flights from China to the USA, probably LAX, since partner award availability is necessarily in low?

WilliamQ likes this.