PVG airport I-I transfer time

Discussion in 'Airports' started by ShrinkTheGlobe, Nov 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ShrinkTheGlobe

ShrinkTheGlobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know if 2.5 hours is enough transfer time at PVG airport? I plan to be arriving on AA then transferring to another flight on Thai Airways. From what I've read, it looks like you have to go through immigration and get a transit visa then go and check in again + go through security. Is it correct that there is no transit desk that will allow transiting passengers to skip checking in again?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Risky IMO.
    Other than a very small number of specific intl->intl transfers (eg VS/LH/LX <> NZ), all transit pax have to clear immigration & get processed at a second immigration desk, through customs. If not already checked in for onward flight then need to do this landside, and security & immigration to get airside.

While it is possible to do all this within a 2.5 hour transit, there is not much room for delays.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your incoming flight is on time, I would not worry much about running out of time, as the airport is quite efficient

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I did an intl-intl transit the second desk was processing last in, first out. Which meant some people got done within a minute, while others less lucky waited for 30+ minutes (at this step, not counting the main immigration queue).

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    2.5 hr is a long connection time for most purposes...

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. indo79

indo79 Active Member

Status Points:
    Given a choice, with the follow circumstances, 2 non-US passport holders, 1 checked bag going from SIN-ICN;

A) SIN-PVG-ICN with a 2 hour connection time or
    B) SIN-PEK-ICN with a 1h 35min connection time?

SIN-PVG arrives 6.25am
    SIN-PEK arrives 7.10am both SQ flights in C

thanks!

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Its worth noting that PVG will now grant visitors from 36 Countries a 3 day visa issued upon arrival. They feel it will help with conference bookings and short stays by pax going onward.
    I just arrived back in YYZ on an AC flight ex PVG and it took all of 15 minutes to check my bag, go through security and immigration and find my lounge at gate 77.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    3 day or 48 hour? The other issue is that the visa has to be "transit" meaning you cannot fly back to where you came from- so a flight YYZ/PVG/YYZ would not work- you would need to schedule YYZ/PVG/HKG/YYZ for example. It is useful but is not completely flexible- also the visa is only valid in Shanghai- so for example you cannot go to Guangzhou or Ningbo if you plan to stay overnight there- you need to stay in the Shanghai vicinity (the hotel will refuse your checkin). Last point- not all airlines know about this permission- so be sure to get a printout from the website of the Chinese Embassy.

jbcarioca and guinnessxyz like this.
  9. thanks for the detailed explanation. I only saw a news article in the chinese English daily the other day. The article never said anything about ongoing destinations being a requirement but mentioned local conference organizers being a beneficiary.

jbcarioca and TRAVELSIG like this.
  10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do hope they increase the benefit- at the moment it is "better than nothing" yet there are a few hoops to jump through.

Back to the OP original question- I think 2.5 hours is fine- not a lot of cushion but should be OK.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You did not mention which country issued your passports. Some countries are far easier than others. I have made a international-domestic PEK transfer recently (a looong bus ride BTW) with 1.5 hours and made it, just. We were on Brazilian passports, but had visas, of course.

I have made intl-intl transfers at PVG with 1.5 hours too, and had a few minutes to spare.

To my knowledge and experience YMMV, but if the PNR has no problems PVG transfers are doable. So much better if the connection is via the handful of carriers:
    The problems begin if there are delays... just like everywhere else.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  12. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a 3.5 hour connection time in PVG, arriving from ORD on UA and connecting to a TG flight to BKK. Having never connected in PVG before, I'm wondering if 3.5 hours is sufficient time given UA's lack of operational reliability. Also, if just transiting international to international, do we still have to go through immigration & customs, collect bags, check-in & re-check bags and go back through security?

13. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes and yes.

14. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks