Putting your pet on board

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, May 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/travel/122310274.html

It's more complicated - and expensive - than ever to fly with your four-legged pal. These tips can make it less troublesome.
    Summer vacation is no longer just for two-legged travelers. Room service menus for Fido, massages for overstressed terriers and tabbies, cushy beds for canines: Many hotels have been ratcheting up the pet amenities. Best Western has even hired Cesar Millan of National Geographic Channel's "Dog Whisperer" to be the chain's pet travel expert.

The problem is getting your pet to the destination. In recent years, transporting pets on commercial flights has grown more complicated -- and expensive. All major carriers have significantly raised the fees for bringing pets onboard, matching, or in some cases, surpassing, the $100 surcharge each way they typically charge for children flying alone. Fees vary depending on whether the pet flies under your seat, or as checked baggage or cargo, which involve extra handling. American, Delta, United and Continental charge $125 each way for pets in the cabin. United charges the most for pets traveling as checked baggage: $250 each way or $500 round trip.

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Indeed, it used to be cheaper to bring my dog with me on many trips, not it's cheaper to board him most of the time, and he was a pet in cabin. Fortunately I've got a place that he genuinely likes. But the pet counts as one of your carry-ons, has to go under your seat, so nonobvious exactly what is being charged for.

Recently I've seen the TSA check whether you've 'paid' for the pet in cabin, used to be half the time the airline didn't ask for the money now the government will often enforce airline rules when their own employees won't. :mad: