Put the phone down and lower the landing gear, please...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by viguera, Apr 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.theage.com.au/travel/tra...obile-phone-20120419-1x9ed.html#ixzz1sTdSnx1B

jbcarioca, Kalboz and NYBanker like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many years ago, I read the memoir of the commanding officer of a USMC OV-10 squadron in Vietnam (unfortunately, can't remember the title). One story he relates is of one of his pilots who came in for a landing...... and FORGOT to lower his landing gear!! :eek: He didn't realize he forgot to lower the gear until AFTER he landed!!! :eek: The CO's response was basically, "Could've happened to any of us." If that happened now, some careers would be in serious jeopardy!

milchap, jbcarioca and Kalboz like this.
  4. UAL4life

UAL4life Member

Status Points:
    Amazing! Love the military of old. A lot more lax esp in regards to their pilots!

milchap and jbcarioca like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most towers in Vietnam at the time told the offending pilots to lower their gear. Combat, especially low altitude spotter stuff like Marine OV-10's did, causes huge stress. lots of them had damage and those that did not had seen it. Towers routinely protected pilots. In a similar situation today, were it to happen, I'd count on wing commanders to have the same reaction. I never forgot to put gear down, but I rarely was shot at either. Although I was not a US Marine I lived at a Marine Air Wing facility during that war and I saw what was happening. Anyway a gear-up landing did not damage those beasts much, they really could take a lot of beating.

LETTERBOY likes this.